SLPA Educational Requirements Details
|To qualify for a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant (SLPA) Certificate, you need to provide evidence of: |
- Official transcripts showing 45 quarter hours or 30 semester hours of speech-language pathology technical course work taken within the last 7 years
- Official transcripts showing 45 quarter hours or 30 semester hours of general education credit
- Written evidence of 100 clock contact hours of clinical interaction
See below for more explanation on each requirement.
Technical Course work
Technical Credits are acceptable for classes that are:
- Around populations that are disabled, disordered.
- multicultural populations
- Overview of disabilities
- Child psychology and development
- Speech and Hearing Sciences (SPHR)
Submit official transcripts showing the 30 semester / 45 quarter technical credits.
Any general course is acceptable except:
- Work study credit
- vocational tech in an unrelated field
- personal enrichment
Submit official transcripts showing the 30 semester / 45 quarter general credits.
Fill out the clinical competency checklist and attach your log of at least 100 contact hours to it.
If you are looking for a place to do a practicum, contact SLPs licensed by this Board in your area to develop an internship that is not observation only. Don't forget to log your hours.