Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Contractor Help

Understanding license endorsements

Contractors that are becoming licensed for the first time are required to choose an endorsement(s). Click here to learn about the endorsement system and choosing the correct one for your business.

Back to Top

Becoming licensed with CCB

Oregon law requires anyone who works for compensation in any construction activity involving improvements to real property be licensed by the Construction Contractors Board (CCB)
For information on becoming licensed with the CCB, click here.

Back to Top

Maintaining your CCB license

This section provides information on renewing, inactivating, making changes as well as other help on the maintenance of your CCB license.
 For information on maintaining your CCB license, click here.

Back to Top
Certain requirements pertain to the CCB license.  CCB's Contractor Help pages separate this information into sections for all contractors regardless of the endorsement.
For help understanding legal requirements for all contractors, click here.

Back to Top
Certain requirements pertain to the CCB license.  CCB's Contractor Help pages separate this information into sections for all contractors regardless of the endorsement.
For help understanding legal requirements for contractors with a residential endorsement, click here.

Back to Top
Certain requirements pertain to the CCB license.  CCB's Contractor Help pages separate this information into sections for all contractors regardless of the endorsement.
For help understanding legal requirements for contractors with a commercial endorsement, click here.

Back to Top

Contractor forms and publications

Many forms and publications for contractors are available to download and print from the website. Contractors are free to make copies of needed forms.
Click here for a list of available forms and publications.
Contractors may also request forms to be mailed by printing the Contractor Publication Order form, under Miscellaneous, from the link above, filling out the requested publications and faxing or mailing to the CCB.

Back to Top

Search Workers Compensation Database

Click here to search the DCBS Workers Compensation database.

Back to Top
Click here for a list of government agencies and other organizations or associations that may be helpful to contractors.

Back to Top

Reporting unlicensed or illegal activities

Many CCB licensed contractors work hard to have a successful business. There are customers to satisfy, skills to keep up and regulations to follow. You work hard and it costs you money. But it's the right thing to do.
But it's frustrating when unlicensed and illegal construction activities put consumers at risk, undermines the success of the construction industry and takes business away from legitimate contractors.
You can help. Click here to report unlicensed or illegal activity 

Back to Top

Liability Insurance Information

Contractors and insurance agents can find out more information on liability insurance by clicking here.

Back to Top

Where is a contractor's CCB number needed?

All contractors must include their CCB license number on everything from business cards to site signs. License numbers are required on all of the following items (if you use them):
  • Business cards
  • Written bids
  • Building-related contracts         
  • Advertising*
  • Business letterhead stationery
  • Business signs at construction sites
  • Written inspection reports

Consumers, contractors and others wanting to check the license and claims history of a contractor can either use the CCB’s website or call CCB staff at 503-378-4621 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m, closed during lunch).  

Many homeowners call the CCB to check on contractors, but they don’t know the owner’s name or the correct spelling. If CCB staff can’t find your license number because a potential customer doesn’t give us the right information, you may lose work because people think you’re unlicensed.  

Think of your CCB license number as a marketing tool and a way for potential customers to confirm that you are a licensed professional. Potential customers who see your license number on your business cards, bids, etc. can quickly confirm your license status. 

The number should include “CCB” and then your license number (for example, CCB #123456). You can also include the words “Licensed and bonded”. Violating OAR 812-003-0120 by failing to provide a CCB number can bring a fine of up to $400. 

Although highly encouraged, license numbers are not required on business vehicles. CCB numbers are encouraged but are not required on promotional items where it is not practical to include them such as pens, pencils, bug deflectors, refrigerator magnets, etc. Numbers are also not required on clothing or uniforms for sports teams sponsored by construction businesses.

*Advertising includes telephone book and newspaper display (space) ads, as well as radio and television ads.

Back to Top

Other information contractors should know about

Contractors licensed with the CCB must also comply with the laws of other local, state and federal agencies. Below is a list of some of the most common agencies contractors need to know about. Oregon laws sometimes differ from those of other states.  This is not meant to be a complete list. It is your responsibility to learn about the laws that affect you.
  • Plumbers and electricians must be issued both a personal license and a business license by the Building Codes Division (503-378-4133).
  • Developers who arrange for or who perform improvements attached to real estate to sell or with the intent to sell, or who develop tracts of land for residential or commercial building sites must be licensed with the CCB (503-378-4621).
  • Manufactured home installers, manufactured home skirting installers, boilermakers-steam fitters, heating and air conditioning technicians, and pipe fitters must be issued a personal license and/or a business license by the Building Codes Division (503-378-4133).
  • Local city or county business license offices: Call the city or county where you are working to see if you need a local business license. In the Portland area, call Metro (503-797-1620) for information about multiple licenses.
  • Local permits and building codes: Call your local building department or Building Codes Division (503-378-4133).
  • CCB contractors doing landscaping work must be licensed with the LCB or contract with a licensed landscaping business. Call the LCB (503-986-6561).
  • Contractors with a landscape irrigation backflow device installer (LIBDI) license through the Landscape Contractors Board who test backflow devices also need a backflow testing license through the Dept. of Human Services (503-731-4007).
  • Tree service businesses must be licensed with the CCB. Call the CCB (503-378-4621).
  • Decontamination contractors cleaning up chemicals associated with clandestine drug lab activities must be licensed with the Dept. of Human Services (503-731-4015).
  • Asbestos abatement contractors must be licensed with the Dept. of Environmental Quality (503-229-5982).
  • Underground storage tank installers should call DEQ (1-800-742-7878) for information.
  • Contractors filling, removing fill or otherwise altering wetlands or waterways, including State Scenic Waterways, may need a permit. Call the Div. of State Lands (503-378-3805) and the Army Corps of Engineers (503-808-4373).
  • Contractors filling, removing or constructing docks, bridges, marinas or other structures within state-owned waterways (tidal or navigable) may need an easement. Call the Division of State Lands (503-378-3805).
  • Contractors building roads, buildings or structures and improvements within State Scenic Waterways or on ocean beaches need the required permits and approvals. Call State Parks and Recreation (503-378-4168 ext. 293).
  • Sewage disposal installers and pumpers must be licensed with DEQ (503-229-6402).
  • Contractors contracting with trucking firms should contact the Oregon Dept. of Transportation (truck safety: 503-378-6168; certification: 503-378-6699).          
  • Contractors erecting or maintaining off-premise advertising signs visible from state highways need a license and permit from ODOT (503-986-3656).
  • Contractors constructing water supply wells and monitoring wells must be licensed with the Water Resources Dept. (ask for the Enforcement Section at 503-986-0900).
  • Serious construction accidents and fatalities must be reported to OR-OSHA (503-378-3272).  Also call this number for information about health rules and occupational safety issues.
  • Contractors hiring employees must be licensed as nonexempt with the CCB and need a federal EIN number (phone 800-829-4933, web www.irs.gov), an Oregon Business Identification Number (503-945-8091), and Workers’ Compensation insurance coverage (503-947-7680).
  • Contractors hiring employees under 18 must comply with regulations governing minors. Call the Bureau of Labor and Industries Work Permit Unit (503-731-4105) and the US Dept. of Labor, Wage and Hour Division (503-326-3057).
  • Contractors working on public works projects must comply with Oregon’s prevailing wage laws. Contact BOLI (503-731-4074).
  • Contractors working on federally financed construction or reconstruction projects need to comply with various federal laws.  Call the US Dept. of Labor, Wage and Hour Division (503-326-3057) and Federal Contract Compliance (503-326-4112).
  • Contractors organizing as a corporation, limited liability partnership or limited liability company, working under assumed business names or using trademarks should contact the Corporation Division (503-986-2200).
  • Prime contractors doing highway projects who want information about obtaining state contracts should call the ODOT Construction Contracts Unit (503-378-4642).
  • Contractors doing grading and excavation in coastal areas need to check with local planning officials to be sure the work is done in compliance with local land use plans and zoning ordinances.
  • Construction crane operators must complete safety training and obtain a crane operator’s card.
  • Pesticide applicators must be licensed by the Oregon Dept. of Agriculture (503-986-4635).
  • Some contractors buying plants for sale or installation must obtain a nursery stock license from the Dept. of Agriculture (503-986-4644).
  • Contractors growing nursery stock or buying stock for later sale must have a nursery grower’s license. Call the Dept. of Agriculture (503-986-4644).
  • Contractors needing a blasting license or explosives permit should contact the State Fire Marshal (503-378-3473).
  • Contractors doing lead-based paint work must be certified with the Dept. of Human Services (503-731-4500) and be licensed with the CCB. Additional information is available from Portland Health Div. Environmental Services Section, Lead Based Paint (971-673-0429).
  • Contractors who inspect cross connections or test backflow prevention devices must get licensed with the CCB (503-378-4621) or the LCB (503-986-6561).
  • Home inspectors who perform two or more components of a home inspection must get certified with the CCB (503-378-4621).
  • Excavators digging near utility lines should call the Oregon Utility Notification Center before digging (1-800-522-2404).
  • Contractors managing property for others must be licensed with the Real Estate Agency (503-378-4170).
Back to Top