Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Home Inspector Continuing Education
How many CEUs (continuing education units) are required to renew my home inspector certification?
You must complete 30 OCHI continuing education units (CEU) in the 24 months prior to your certification expiration date.  

How can I earn OCHI continuing education?

There are three ways to earn OCHI continuing education:
    1. You may complete classes in approved and relevant subject areas from approved OCHI providers.  One CEU is granted for each clock hour of instruction. Other types of CEUs Do Not fulfill this requirement.

    2. You may accompany a plumbing, electrical or heating/air conditioning contractor who is licensed with the Oregon Building Codes Division on a repair or maintenance job that lasts a minimum of four hours.  Only one CEU is granted in each of the three areas for a maximum of three OCHI CEUs per two-year renewal period.

    3. Serving as an officer for an Oregon or a national home inspector professional trade association.  One OCHI CEU is granted for each year completed serving as an officer.

    Can CEU’s be earned from online courses?

    What are the approved subject areas?
    • Home inspection, report writing, communication skills, business practices, legal issues, ethics, building codes, Construction Contractors Board home inspector test study guide items, and standards of practice.  You can view and download the study guide and standards online.
    • Classes in approved subjects must be relevant to the work a home inspector does.  For example, mold and WDO are approved subject areas (because they are in the study guide).  The following classes would be accepted by the Construction Contractors Board because they are also relevant to what a home inspector does (based on the Standards of Practice): Conditions Conducive to Mold, and Identifying Common Wood Destroying Organisms.  However, the following classes would not be approved because they are not relevant to the work of a home inspector based on the standard of practice: Testing for Mold and Pesticide Applications.  No pesticide classes are ever approved for OCHI CEUs because the standards do not require home inspectors to apply pesticides .  
    *Important* CEUs are proprietary, meaning certain classes are only applicable to certain licenses. Always check the approved provider list for your specific CEU requirements. 

    What should I send the CCB for proof of completed CEU’s?

    When you receive your certification renewal notice, you will need to complete the renewal form and submit copies of your course completion certificates. Detailed instructions are included with the renewal form.

    Acceptable documentation -
    College courses: Send a copy of the college transcript (official or unofficial) with the appropriate course(s) highlighted.  The document should indicate the name of the school, course title, name of the home inspector, passing grade, number of credit hours, and when the course was completed.
    Other courses/workshops/seminars: Send a copy of the completion certificate.  The certificate should contain the name of the school/organization; specific course title (not “July workshop”, “Bend seminar”, etc.); name of the home inspector; date the course was completed; and actual hours of the course or the number of OCHI CEU’s granted by the provider.  Also acceptable is a letter on the providers’ letterhead with the same information.  
    Ride along: If you accompanied a licensed Building Codes Division (BCD) plumbing, electrical or heating/air conditioning contractor on a repair or maintenance job: Please submit the “Repair Ride-Along” form that includes the BCD contractor’s name and signature, BCD license number, date of repair ride-along, type of repair or maintenance and length of job.  
      Officer of a home inspector trade association: If you served as an officer of an Oregon or national home inspector professional trade association: Please submit a copy of a letter from the association that states the office held and dates served (month/year to month/year).  The letter must be on the association’s letterhead and signed by another officer.
      NOTE: Please submit copies of certificates, transcripts and letters as original documents will not be returned to you.  

      If you do not document at least 30 OCHI CEUs:
      • Your certification will expire.
      • The CCB may assess civil penalties against the CCB licensed business of up to $5,000 for each home inspection performed while the inspector is not certified.