Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Home Inspectors General Information

Who is a home inspector?

A home inspector is an individual who, for a fee, inspects and provides a written report on the overall physical condition of a residential structure.


The following are structural components:

  • Exterior
  • Roofing
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical
  • Heating
  • Central air conditioning
  • Interiors
  • Insulation and ventilation
  • Built-in kitchen appliances
  • Site


Who needs to be certified?

Any individual who advertises, bids, or performs residential home inspections of more than one structural component needs to be certified.  For example, a roof, heating system, foundation and plumbing are four component of a home inspection.


Who is not a certified home inspector?

  • Any individual who inspects only one component such as roof inspectors
  • Any individual who inspects for code compliance for government jurisdictions
  • Any individual who only performs pest and dry rot or WDO inspections
  • Any individual who inspects only lead-based paint
  • Any individual who only inspects cross connections
  • Any individual who only tests the air for radon
  • Any individual who performs energy audits
  • Any individual who performs forensic evalations
  • Any individual who performs home performance testing
  • Any individual who inspects for compliance of state building codes
  • Any individual licensed each year as a general contractor during the period from January 1, 1991 through August 11, 1997
  • A pesticide operator licensed by the Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) if the individual is not conducting an inspection for WDOs for a real estate purchase or sale

Do home inspectors need any other kind of license or certification?

The CCB does not require any other license or certification.  However, the Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) issues a pesticide applicator’s license.  Pesticide applicator licenses are not required by ODA or the State of Oregon to conduct pest and dry rot or WDO inspections.  However, some lending institutions (banks, mortgage companies) and guaranteeing agencies (Farmer’s Home Administrations, Veterans Administration) may not accept pest and dry rot or WDO inspection reports as part of a real estate transaction that are prepared by inspectors who do not have a pesticide applicator’s license from ODA.  For information on obtaining a pesticide applicator’s license, contact ODA at 503-986-4635 or go to www.Oregon.gov/ODA/PEST.


What is a home inspection business?

A home inspection business has one or more owners or employees who are home inspectors.  The business performs inspections of more than one structural component and provides a written report of the findings.

Does a home inspection business need a CCB license?

Yes, the home inspection business must become licensed with the Construction Contractors Board.  The business must apply for a license as a Residential General Contractor; or a Residential Specialty Contractor; or a Home Inspector Services Contractor.