Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Becoming Licensed with the CCB
Who Needs to be Licensed
Oregon law requires anyone who works for compensation in any construction activity involving improvements to real property to be licensed with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB). This includes roofing, siding, painting, carpentry, concrete, on-site appliance repair, heating and air conditioning, home inspections, tree service, plumbing, electrical, floor covering, manufactured dwelling installations, land development and most other construction and repair services.
A CCB license is also required for: 
  • those who purchase homes, fix them up themselves and resell them.
  • material suppliers that receive compensation for installing or arranging the installation of the materials.
Steps to Becoming Licensed
To become a licensed contractor in Oregon you must:
  • Complete the prerequisite training and pass CCB’s statewide test. This is the person who becomes the Responsible Managing Individual (RMI). Click here for information on the training and test.
  • File your assumed business name, corporation or LLC at the Oregon Corporation Division.  
  • Obtain and submit a CCB surety bond in the required amount(s).  
  • Obtain and provide proof of general liability insurance in the required amount.  
  • Provide evidence of worker’s compensation and other employer account numbers if applicable.  
  • Submit a completed CCB application with the $325 fee for two years.