Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Home Inspectors
General Information
Who is a home inspector?
A home inspector is an individual who, for a fee, inspects and provides a written report on the overall physical condition of a residential structure.  A home inspector inspects more than one structural component and provides a written report of his or her findings.  The following are structural components:

  • Exterior
  • Roofing
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical
  • Heating
  • Central air conditioning
  • Interiors
  • Insulation and ventilation
  • Built-in kitchen appliances, and site)

Who is not a home inspector?
  • Individuals who do not inspect and provide a report on the overall physical condition of a residential structure, such as pest, mold and dry rot or wood-destroying organism (WDO) inspectors.
  • Individuals who inspect only one structural component, such as roof inspectors, lead-based paint inspectors, or plumbing cross-connection inspectors.

Who needs to be certified as a home inspector?
Any individual that advertises, bids or works as a home inspector must be certified unless the law exempts him or her from certification.

Who does not need to be certified as a home inspector?
  • Any individual who is not a home inspector.
  • An individual licensed each year as a general contractor during the period from January 1, 1991 through August 11, 1997.
  • A licensed appraiser acting within the scope of his or her license.
  • A code compliance inspector working for a government agency.
  • A pesticide operator licensed by the Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) if the individual is not conducting an inspection for WDOs for a real estate purchase or sale.

Do home inspectors need any other kind of license or certification?
The ODA issues pesticide applicator’s licenses.  CCB does not require these licenses to do pest and dry rot or WDO inspections.  However, some lending institutions and mortgage guaranty agencies, like the Farmers’ Home Administration (FHA), may not accept pest and dry rot or WDO inspection reports unless they are prepared by an inspector with a pesticide applicator’s license.  For further information, contract ODA at 503-986-4635 or www.Oregon.gov/ODA/PEST.

What is a home inspection business?
A home inspection business has one or more owners or one or more employees who are home inspectors.  If a home inspector is a sole proprietor, then the home inspector and the home inspection business are one and the same.

Does a home inspection business need a license?
Generally, a home inspection business needs a contractor’s license from CCB.

When does a home inspection business not need a CCB license?
The home inspection business does not need a license if it only performs pest and dry rot or WDO inspections. 
The home inspection business does not need a license if its employees are pesticide operators licensed by the ODA and the home inspection business is not conducting inspections for WDOs for real estate purchases or sales.

Back to the Top
Certification Application
Application Process
Download the Home Inspector Test Application Packet or call the CCB Customer Service Unit (CSU) at 503-378-4621 to have a packet mailed to you.
Step 1: Complete the Home Inspector Test Application.
  • Complete the Test Qualification Application (page 17).
  • Attach proof of 20 eligibility points using the Qualifying Points Documentation (pages 5-12).
  • Send $50 application fee. 
Step 2: Once you are qualified, we will mail you a letter and a study guide.
Step 3: To request to take the test, return a copy of the qualification letter and the $50 test fee. Staff will contact you to schedule the test in the Salem office.
Step 4: Take the test and pass all five sections (75% passing score in each section).
Step 5: Submit the $150 certification fee. Once received, you will receive your certificate and pocket card by mail.
Step 6: Once certified, you must also either be the owner or an employee of a CCB-licensed business to practice home inspections in Oregon [OAR 812-008-0030 (1)].
Click here  for a CCB licensing information or call 503-378-4621 to talk with CCB staff.
CCB licensing includes:
  • 16-hours of training on Oregon laws and business practices (see CCB application for more information)
  • State test on 16-hours of training
  • Surety bond
  • Liability insurance
  • Application (you can select any residential endorsement except Limited or Licensed Developer).
  • Fee
  • Corporation, LLC or DBA filed
Other Important Information:
Renewal: Your certification will expire two years from the date on which it was first issued. The cost to renew your certification is $150 ($75 per year). This does not renew your CCB license. It only renews your home inspector certification.
Continuing education: All certified home inspectors must complete 30 hours of continuing education every two years in order to renew their certification. You will be sent detailed information about continuing education when you become certified. Click here  for more information about the continuing education requirement.
Education taken by a certified home inspector to fulfill the residential continuing education requirement for a CCB license may qualify for the continuing education needed to maintain your Home Inspector certification.

Back to the Top
Application and Test FAQs
Common Questions About the Application and Testing Process
Click here for common questions about the Home inspection application and test.
Back to the Top
Standards of Behavior FAQ's
The Construction Contractors Board (CCB) adopted rules relating to home inspector standards of behavior.  The rule is found in OAR 812-008-0201. CCB has received several questions about this rule.  Click here for some of the questions most frequently asked, together with CCB’s answers.

Back to the Top
Continuing Education
All certified home inspectors must complete 30 hours of continuing education every two years in order to renew their certification. Click here for a list of courses and activities that qualify for continuing education credits, and answers to common questions about continuing education.
For additional information, call 503-378-4621.

Back to the Top
Publications and Forms
Home Inspector Test Application Packet
(Includes application form, eligibility requirements and eligibilty form.)
Home Inspector Repair Ride Along Form
(Repair ride-along form for home inspector certification)
Add a Home Inspector Form 
(Use this form to add a Home Inspector to your CCB License)
What Oregon Certified Home Inspectors Need to Know
(A summary of laws, rules and other important information for certified home inspectors.)
Home Inspector Continuing Education Update
Home Inspector Consumer Protection Notice 
This notice replaces the Home Inspector Summary and the Home Inspector Summary/Standards. By rule, Home Inspectors were required to provide their customers one of the two notices.
Inspector Regulation in Oregon
(Other agencies that regulate inspectors.)
Study Guide (sample test questions, laws & rules, etc.)
For an application to become an education provider for home inspection, click here.

Back to the Top
Consumer Tips
A home inspection is a general, visual inspection of a house and its appurtenances. An inspection report should cover the major systems of the house: structural, plumbing, electric, heating and cooling, general interior, insulation, ventilation, siding, windows, doors, roofs and attached garages. A wood destroying organism (WDO) report (sometimes called a pest and dry rot) is sometimes included. Usually not included are septic systems, wells, underground piping, swimming pools and other items that are not considered part of the main structure. Check your contract to determine if there are any areas that will not be inspected.
When you get an inspection, you are purchasing an educated opinion, not a guarantee.
For more information, click on one of the links below.
Looking for a Home Inspector?
(Information on home inspections and finding a certified home inspector.)
Home Inspector Consumer Protection Notice 
This notice must be provided to customers at the time the contract is signed.
Inspector Regulation in Oregon
(Agencies that regulate inspectors in Oregon.)

Back to the Top