Oregon Dislocated Worker Unit - Business Information
The agency´s Dislocated Worker Unit is the state´s clearinghouse for Worker Adjustment Retraining Notification (WARN) information, and works closely with local program providers to deliver services to workers affected by layoffs and closures. Staff can also provide helpful next step information for both employers and workers, and this site offers links to other agencies and programs which may be of assistance.
|Dislocated Worker Guide|
|Oregon Dislocated Worker Guide 2015 Edition (New) |
File Size: PDF File Size: 2.78 MB
WorkSource Oregon Centers Contact List
File Size: PDF File Size: 208 KB
|EMPLOYER BENEFITS OF EARLY NOTIFICATION - Elements of successful layoffs and closures |
COMPANY CONCERNS ALLEVIATED
- Early notification to employees can alleviate many concerns an employer facing layoff or closure may encounter.
- Company loyalty of employees grows stronger when the employer is seen actively playing a role in the services and information workers are receiving.
- As the employer invests in the worker during this transition period, the worker remains committed to the company.
- This commitment creates an environment where rumors can be addressed and controlled; potential for sabotage or theft is reduced or eliminated; production remains high and many times even increases; workers are more likely to remain company, attached until their release date.
- Additionally, dislocated worker services are pre-paid. Services are provided through grants under the Workforce Investment Act.
PERSONNEL ISSUES ADDRESSED
- In companies where advance notice is given and pre-layoff services are offered, workers’ compensation claims and increased use of sick leave are greatly reduced.
- The dislocated worker team offers assistance to Human Resources staff as they face an increase of questions, complaints and concerns from employees.
EMPLOYER & WORKERS BOTH WIN WITH EARLY INTERVENTION
- Advance notice correlates directly with a rapid return to the workforce after company release.
- Notice allows time to plan. Additional funding may be obtained to assist the employer in avoiding the need for layoffs or assisting workers during transition.
- There is an ability to provide workshops such as resume writing, interviewing, master application, labor market information or other on-site services such as the formation of a career center during a pre-layoff time frame.
- Formation of transition teams or peer programs allow employer and worker needs to be addressed, there by creating more comprehensive and individualized services.
|Worker Adjustment & Retraining Notification (WARN) Act |
The Worker Adjustment & Retraining Notification Act (WARN) offers protection to workers, their families and communities by requiring employers to provide notice 60 days in advance of covered plant closings and covered mass layoffs.
This notice must be provided to either affected workers or their representatives (e.g., a labor union); to the State dislocated worker unit; and to the appropriate unit of local government.
File Format: MS Word File Size: 24 KB
|TAA - ATAA Information|
|Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) - Alternative Trade Adjustment Assistance (ATAA) |
The Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) / Alternative Trade Adjustment Assistance (ATAA) program is a federal entitlement program established under the Trade Act of 1974, as amended. The TAA Program provides aid to workers who lose their jobs or whose hours of work and wages are reduced as a result of increased imports.
Workers whose employment is adversely affected by increased imports may apply for TAA/ATAA. TAA/ATAA offers a variety of benefits and reemployment services to assist unemployed workers prepare for and obtain suitable employment. Workers may be eligible for training, job search and relocation allowances, income support and other reemployment services.
The TAA/ATAA program is administered by the Employment and Training Administration of the U.S. Department of Labor. States serve as agents to the Labor Department in administering the TAA/ATAA program.
File Format: PDF File Size: 16 KB
TAA-ATAA Petition (English Version)
File Format: PDF File Size: 163 KB
TAA-ATAA Petition (Spanish Version)
File Format: PDF File Size: 163 KB