Ask Ron

I saw a story on the news recently about a homeowner who signed up with a company called Airbnb to rent out a room in her home for extra income. It sounded like people could use a website to find a place to stay instead of using a hotel or bed and breakfast. How does this work with home insurance? What if a guest damages the house or is injured on the premises? Would the homeowner policy cover those situations?

See more Ask Ron answers

Information in the left column of this page takes you to other Ask Ron topics.

Background on Ron Fredrickson

Ron joined the Insurance Division in 2005 with 36 years of experience in the insurance industry, primarily in claims. His team of advocates handles 15,000 calls and 4,000 complaints annually from Oregon consumers.

Your questions

Send your questions to




Connect with an insurance expert.