Before the test
- Emission equipment must be intact and functioning.
- Make sure your vehicle does not smoke.
- Make sure your vehicle is in good working condition. Follow recommended maintenance schedules for your vehicle, make sure you have good brakes, tires are inflated, etc.
- Drive enough miles before the test to completely warm up your engine and catalytic converter.
- While waiting for the test, leave your engine running in neutral or park.
- Please leave your pets at home.
- No smoking in the testing lanes.
- Please turn off cell phones in the testing lane.
- 1996 and newer vehicles with On-Board Diagnostics must be at "Ready" status.*
- Trailers, towed vehicles or other mobile equipment must be disconnected from the vehicle prior to testing.
Note: Vehicles taking the OBD test that have been recently repaired or reset may need to complete a drive cycle before OBD statuses are "Ready." Contact an authorized service provider for more information on OBD and drive cycles.
DEQ emissions test fee
Your emissions test fee is separate from your DMV registration fees. In most cases you can pay both fees at a DEQ testing station if an emissions test is required and your vehicle passes the test. DEQ accepts cash, money order or Credit/Debit (VISA, MasterCard or Discover) ONLY. Checks, travelers checks, food stamps or any other type of payment is NOT accepted.
- The testing fee in the Portland area is $21.
- The testing fee in the Rogue Valley is $10.
- There is no charge if your vehicle does not pass the emissions test.
Note: Per DEQ's agreement with VISA/MasterCard/Discover all credit/debit cards must be signed by the person presenting the card for purchase. DEQ cannot accept "See ID" on the signature line without a signature.
About the test
The type of emissions test taken will depend on the year of your vehicle. Each of the tests takes about five minutes. All 1975-1995 Vehicles are monitored for carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emission. All vehicles are monitored for smoke and excessive noise. 1996 and newer vehicles receive the On-Board Diagnostics test which queries the vehicle's on-board computer to ensure that pollution control equipment is working properly.
Renewing your registration
If your vehicle passes a DEQ emissions test you can renew registration and receive your DMV tags at the DEQ inspection stations. DEQ cannot issue DMV renewal tags without administering a test. Be sure to bring:
- Your entire (both parts) DMV registration renewal form with sections 1 and 2 completed. One of the registered owners must sign the renewal.
- Cash or Credit/Debit (VISA, MasterCard or Discover) to pay for the emissions test AND your DMV registration fees.
After passing the test, you will receive the certificate needed to renew your registration. The certificates are valid for 180 days. Once it is used to register the vehicle, you do not need to test again until your next registration cycle.