This page features tools and document templates DEQ permit writers use to develop individual National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits. Both the permit development tools and templates help ensure consistency in permit writing and guide facility and receiving water characterizations necessary to establish pollution discharge limits and permit conditions. Additionally, DEQ has developed a wide variety of modeling tools used to identify the potential impact on water quality. The template and development tools are available on the DEQ website so that permit holders, engineering consultants and the public can have a better understanding of the permit development process.
Water quality modelling
For each permit, DEQ uses a series of water quality models to determine if the facility has the “reasonable potential to cause or contribute to the exceedance of a water quality standard”. Generally, the larger and more sophisticated the facility are reflected in depth and extent of the modelling efforts. For this purpose, DEQ maintains the following guidance documents and spreadsheets:
Reasonable Potential Analysis (RPA) Spreadsheets
- Copper Biotic Ligand Model
- Dissolve Oxygen
Questions and comments on Reasonable Potential
Analysis and the above models may be submitted to Spencer Bohaboy,
DEQ maintains a
series of domestic and industrial permit templates for both the NPDES and WPCF
programs. There are also templates for the supporting Fact Sheets. Over time, DEQ expects to develop additional
versions tailored to other parts of the water quality program, regions and
Features of the permit template include:
- Highlighted instructions. These call attention to language that may need to be tailored for particular permits.
- Endnotes. These are designed to provide the legal basis and additional background on specific permit language.
- Links to various documents developed to inform the permit development process.
- The templates are regularly updated to reflect changes in DEQ policy and water quality criteria.
NPDES prmit and fact sheet templates:
General conditions templates:
Mercury Minimization Plan Templates:
- Questions and comments on the permit template may be submitted to Jeff Navarro, 503-229-5257
- Questions and comments of the water quality models may be submitted to Spencer Bohaboy, 503-229-5415