Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Supports for Children with Developmental Disabilities
  • Family Supports
  • Children’s Intensive In-Home Services
  • Twenty-four (24) Hour Out of Home Services

  • Overview

    Seniors and People with Disabilities Developmental Disabilities Services (SPD) offers supports to children and families ranging from in home family support, intensive in-home supports and 24-hour services in foster care or residential placement. Services offered have specific eligibility standards and are usually accessed through the local Community Developmental Disabilities Programs (CDDP).

    For families of children with developmental disabilities who are living at home, “Family Support” through Community Developmental Disabilities Programs may offer a variety of supports and assistance. The unique needs of families who care for a child with developmental disabilities are addressed through the development of individual plans.

    For children with intensive behavior or medical needs and who are living at home, highly individualized services may be provided through the State’s “Children’s Intensive In-Home Services”.

    For children who can no longer live with their families, out of home services include foster care, proctor care and residential facilities.

    How to Access Services

    The first step in locating services for your child and family is your local Community Developmental Disabilities Program, usually located in the County Mental Health Department. Service Coordinators there will talk with you to see if your child is eligible for services, help determine what kind of help your child and family needs, and work with you to develop a service plan to respond to those needs.