STEPS is an Oregon Home Care Commission program that promotes successful working relationships between consumer-employers and homecare workers. Since 2007, more than 2300 consumer-employers have participated in STEPS to learn about their rights and how to assume their responsibilities as employers. They have gained insight, information and ideas to help them make the most of in-home services.
Who can participate
STEPS is for individuals receiving in-home services through these programs:
Designated Representatives are trusted friends or family members who assist with employer responsibilities, and are welcome to participate with, or in place of consumer-employers.
What STEPS includes
- Understanding your Service Plan and Task List
- Creating job descriptions
- Locating employees
- Interviewing and completing reference checks
- Selecting the best Homecare Worker for the job
- Creating an Employment Agreement
- Training, supervising and communicating effectively with employees
- Ensuring that work is performed satisfactorily
- Maintaining employment records
- Scheduling and tracking authorized hours worked
- Approving paid leave and unexpected absences
- Recognizing, discussing and attempting to correct any employee performance deficiencies
- Discharging unsatisfactory workers
- Developing a backup plan for coverage of services
- Making your home a safe place for you to live and your employee to work
For more information:
Call 1-877-867-0077 and selection Option 4.