Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image

Local Government Advisory Committee

Minutes - October 12, 2001

Minutes Not Final Until Approved By LGAC

Room 473, Human Services Building, Salem

Contents:

Introductions/Opening

DHS Reorganization
Budget Update & Special Session Preparation
Membership & Bylaws Amendment Draft Review
Organization Updates
Other Items
Future Agenda Items
Next Meeting



Attending


Cindy Becker, DHS Chief Administrative Officer
Lennie Bjornsen, DHS Continuous System Improvement
Chad Cheriel DH, Director’s Office Administration
Larry Cole, League of Oregon Cities
Dena Comer, DHS Director’s Office Administration, LGAC Support
Bonnie Davidson, Community Action Directors of Oregon
Vic Falgout, Douglas County Juvenile Department
Gina Firman, Association of Oregon Community Mental Health Programs
Irene Fischer-Davidson, Clackamas County Human Services
David Foster, Oregon Housing and Community Services
Gordon Fultz, Association of Oregon Counties
Patrick Green, SEIU, Local 503, OPEU
Donnie Griffin, DHS Deputy Director
Cindy Hannum DHSSeniors & People with Disabilities
John Hartner, Oregon Association of Community Corrections
Shirley Iverson, DHSCommunity Human Services
Lisa Joyce, DHSLegislative and Intergovernmental Relations Manager
Sue Kupillas, Jackson County Board of Commissioners
Linda Ludwig, League of Oregon Cities
Linda Modrell, Benton County Board of Commissioners
Lillian Shirley, Multnomah County Health Department
Bill Wagner, Cascades West Council of Governments
Doug Wilson, DHSFinance and Policy Analysis


Introductions/Opening


Meeting called to order by Sue Kupillas, Co-Chair. Roundtable introductions were made.

Donnie Griffin introduced Chad Cheriel as an Executive Policy Advisor in the DHS Director’s Office.

At the request of Gordon Fultz, Special Session Preparation was added as an agenda item to follow the Budget Update.

Minutes from the September 14, 2001, meeting were approved.


DHS Reorganization Update


Handout #1Remarks of September 10, 2001
To Cabinet & Service Delivery Area Managers
Bobby S. Mink, Director Oregon Department of Human Services


Handout #2DHS Performance Measurement Framework
10/12/01 Draft


Handout #3 Working List of Outputs & Other Indicators for Reporting
As of 10/12/01
Suggested Use in January – June Data for First Report


Handout #4 Working List of Outcomes for Reporting
As of 10/12/01


Handout #5Memorandum to Agency Directors
From Governor John Kitzhaber
RE: Revenue Shortfall


Griffin began with a brief update on Bobby Mink’s health. Mink expects to return to work within two to three weeks.

During Mink’s absence, Griffin, Doug Wilson, and Cindy Becker will head up the management team and will work on reductions and rebalancing. Becker will act as second in command. Lisa Joyce will take on additional duties in addition to legislative responsibilities.

Griffin explained that he would provide an overview of the significant issues of Reorganization, while Mink wishes to discuss the bulleted items listed on the agenda in detail at a later date.

With respect to the DHS vision, Griffin reviewed Mink’s September 10, 2001 speech (handout #1). Four major points of the speech include: The remaking of DHS will continue. Second, clients will continue to receive services. There will be no excuses for not completing the work needed to achieve these goals. Third, DHS will create, train and develop a workforce that appreciates the diversity of its clients. The fourth and final point is that DHS must adequately and succinctly measure the Department’s progress through performance measurements. Griffin asked LGAC to consider what those measurements should be, and invited input from the group. Griffin asked Lennie Bjornsen to present his update on the progress of performance measurements and outcomes currently in development.

Bjornsen distributed three handouts to the group and explained that more specific data will be available in the future as it develops. The first handout describes the framework of 27 different broad outcomes chosen by the DHS Cabinet in July. Those items marked with an asterisk are identical to those in the Senate Bill 555 Planning Guidelines. Performance measures have been gathered from across the department and inserted into this framework, where department-wide data is assembled so that it can be utilized. Bjornsen welcomed the group to contact him for input.

Bjornsen added that as a next step, the Department is going to publish the first DHS Performance Measurement Report within the next month. Bjornsen explained that the 13 measurements included in his second handout will be included in this first report. These outcomes are confirmed as reliable, valid, and available by county.

Bjornsen explained that his third handout includes another level, or "tier two" of performance measures, which will very likely be added to DHS’ first report. The measurements in this handout are more detailed and program-specific. A difference between this information and that of the second handout is that it is available monthly. Bjornsen again invited input from the group.

Kupillas referred to the "People are Safe" section on the last handout, and suggested that an addition be made addressing terrorism response.

Bjornsen replied that he would include that in the discussion. Bjornsen added that the Department currently has no outcome with respect to mental health. He explained that, as an intermediary step, the percentage of SMI/SED individuals receiving publicly funded mental health services will be included in the Department’s first report.

Kupillas responded that a more general view of information regarding communicable diseases, etc. is needed in order to assure the community that the government is keeping things as safe as possible.

Bjornsen explained that DHS’ first report may seem shy of information with regard to community and public health, and there is a need for growth in the area of community wellness.

Gordon Fultz commented the need for including what is prevented, not only what is being treated.

David Foster suggested that there be some way of calling attention to the objective of prevention by way of a footnote, an addendum, or running list; a means of indicating that there is no actual way to measure the prevention aspect at this time.

Griffin agreed and suggested to Bjornsen that some ideas of how to approach this issue should be brought forward so that awareness can begin toward possible resolution.

Kupillas commented that an objective should exist that addresses what organizations are meeting, and on what levels they’re meeting in order to address the issue.

Bjornsen replied that this fall he expects to have prototype ideas on what integration is, how it will be measured, and how it will be tracked. He added that there is a lot of work to be done around surveying DHS employees, partners, and consumers on how things are working.

Gina Firman suggested that she and Bjornsen work together regarding mental health system data, to ensure that the indicators exist and to build a system that works in order to satisfy House Bill 3024.

In response to Kupillas’ request for clarification of the handouts, Bjornsen explained that his second handout helps with the "old" language of DHS. The measures used for the first report come from existing programs; the handout denotes where those programs used to exist.

With respect to customer service, John Hartner asked if customer surveys would have a place within the evaluation.

Bjornsen replied that there are no forecasts for new surveys in addition to those being done within the clusters as a continuation of previous surveys completed by divisions. Surveys will be done as part of service integration measurements.

John Hartner suggested that the same questions used in previous surveys be used in future surveys as a means to measure progress.

Griffin explained that a comprehensive piece was done several months ago involving surveys and focus groups which led to discovery in the beginning shaping of the Reorganization. He suggested that some of those instruments might be used in the future.

Cindy Becker added that surveys are currently being done in Administrative Services. These are being done monthly and include the Internet, are confidential, and include rating scales and narrative. As the results come in the information will be shared with customers.

Lillian Shirley commented that the counties could benefit if a method for interpreting the data could be provided.

Cindy Hannum joined the discussion by commenting that one of the challenges in gathering data is to look at the correlations between areas such as prevention and wellness, safety and well being, and others.

In response to Firman’s concern that Mental Health is working with the right people, Bjornsen recommended she invite Michael Stickler.

Patrick Green joined the discussion to ask Bjornsen how forces outside DHS’ control, such as a recession, affect public assistance.

Bjornsen responded by explaining that the third part of DHS’ first report speaks to eight different socio-economic variables that are connected to the outcomes and will provide a county-by-county profile. As to distribution of the reports, he explained that the information will be available, but that distribution plans are not yet complete.

Griffin continued his update with a brief discussion on the Reorganization relative to the $6 million reinvestment in DHS. The Cabinet has successfully identified all but $2 million of the total so far. The areas of reinvestment are Information Systems and Training. DHS is examining the remaining $2 million. Griffin suggested that Becker and her team attend a future LGAC meeting and discuss the areas of Information Systems being focused on.

Griffin explained that other parts of the financial picture include a rebalance as well as the Governor’s request surrounding reductions. Griffin referred to the Governor’s memo of October 5, in which several parameters have been outlined. A special session is expected for January 2002. DHS is currently assembling its reduction package according to the Governor’s request. Griffin asked the group for input as to what gaps in service delivery might occur as a result of the reductions.

As a final item of his update, Griffin reported on a recent conversation with Fultz regarding bio-terrorism and a need for solid leadership throughout the state. Griffin and Joyce recently spoke with Mark Gibson and Grant Higginson, and the Governor’s office is expected to provide their perspective on the issue in the very near future. While there are processes and communication avenues currently in place, DHS would like to focus on this issue in partnership with local counties.

Linda Ludwig suggested that municipal representatives be involved in the conversation, and further that the LOC put forward a representative for that purpose.

Shirley suggested that a poll be taken amongst those individuals who have been actively working with emergency preparedness throughout the state and local governments.

Griffin replied that there are many infrastructures currently exist, however a "common ground" of leadership needs to be established, and the public made aware that it is in place.

Kupillas commented that the delivery of emergency response will be at the county and city level, however a specialized team at state level would be helpful for those situations not dealt with before.

Ludwig reported that the LOC has been meeting with cities and their water associations regarding adding informational material to bills, and that the LOC’s website also contains information.

Fultz commented that in addition to a unified vision of emergency response, an assessment of needs for readiness should be examined as well.

Kupillas closed the discussion by commenting that we currently have systems in place, and that we need to access and utilize those systems which are proven to work.


Budget Update & Special Session Preparation


Handout #6Reorganization Savings
2003-05 Savings Totaling $4 Million General Fund


Handout #7Governor’s Instructions for
Potential Budget Reductions


Doug Wilson began his update by outlining three major areas: Reorganization savings, DHS and the rebalance, and the Governor’s process for reduction.

Wilson provided a brief summary of his handout on Reorganization Savings, which was presented to the Emergency Board a few weeks ago. There is a total of $10 million in Reorganization savings to be identified by DHS. The Legislative Adopted Budget assumes that the first $4 million is a straight cut. The other $6 million involves the reinvestment. The handout is broken into four parts, and identifies those areas involved in the reduction.

Firman asked, with respect to the elimination of the Deputy Director position in the Office of Alcohol and Drug Abuse, how DHS is addressing providers with assurances that Alcohol and Drug services will remain significant.

Griffin responded that Barry Kast, Assistant Director to Health Services, has been meeting with providers and stakeholders to assure them that alcohol and drug prevention is a priority.

Becker added clarification that the $6 million referred to is reinvestment in critical reorganization needs, and is not being cut from the DHS budget.

Regarding the Governor’s process, as outlined in Wilson’s second handout, he explained that the state is facing a $300 million budget issue for 2001-03. Wilson continued with a summary of the handout, which involves cutting back 2 percent on allotments, identifying administrative cost reductions equal to 10 percent, and identifying program cost reductions equal to 10 percent. Wilson welcomed comments from LGAC regarding reduction efforts. The reduction plan is due to the Department of Administrative Services by November 16.

In response to concerns that there be an organized process including LGAC in the reduction plan, Griffin assured the group that they will not be excluded. DHS will be examining closely the impact on delivery systems that any reductions may cause.

Bonnie Davidson referred to the sentence in the Governor’s memo which includes, "the state shall maintain its role in providing support and assistance" pertaining to having no other access to resources. She asked that as DHS continues the reduction discussion, they consider Community Action Directors and other non-profit providers.

Griffin replied that while the ultimate decisions are made by the Legislature, DHS will find a place where those voices are heard.

Griffin added that Education will be a part of this reduction process, the result being that DHS cuts will not be as steep.

With regard to receiving input from stakeholders on the reduction process, Kupillas asked if more information could be brought to the November 9 LGAC meeting.

Griffin replied that he will work with Wilson, Becker, and Joyce to provide a process where the stakeholders can be heard.

Modrell asked if the Governor’s office had provided any information as to whether or not some programs or services, such as the Health Plan, would be considered "sacrosanct."

Griffin replied that while no information of that nature had been received, there may be some "monuments" which will be considered.

Davidson reported that CADO and other human services providers are working to make that case that DHS, through Children Adults and Families, received some disproportionate cuts. These groups will be siding with DHS in meeting with the Governor in the near future.

Kupillas commented that the responsibility of local government is to identify those people who will be affected by cuts and come back to the table with solutions. She appealed to the group to be more comprehensive in approaching the reduction issue.

Wilson concluded his budget update by reporting that major DHS rebalance issues include increased Health Plan caseloads and lowered tobacco revenues, and that DHS is spending $12 thousand per day over budget in acute mental health.

Becker added that, while not included in the rebalance, DHS is estimating at least $25 million in costs implementing the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA). This cost will be addressed in the special session.

Kupillas added HIPAA to the list of agenda items for the November meeting.

Wilson closed by commenting that due to the mental health budget issues there may not be a rebalance in November, but go to special session.


Membership & Bylaws Amendment Draft Review


Handout #8 Proposed Correction to Bylaws
Local Government Advisory Committee


Handout # 9Proposed Amended Bylaws
Local Government Advisory Committee


Joyce opened the discussion by explaining that the existing Bylaws outline specific terms of membership. At present, the term start dates of current members are not clear. According to the bylaw as amended, Joyce suggested that January 2002 is an appropriate time to re-establish terms. Joyce reminded the group that only members are allowed to vote. Once terms have been established, members will be notified when they are close to ending.

As there were no objections, Kupillas agreed with Joyce that terms will be re-established in January 2002.

Joyce next referred to her handouts, the first of which is the existing bylaws with recommended changes. These changes include grammatical and typographical corrections, and reflect conversation at the previous meeting pertaining to eliminating some committee structures. Joyce suggested that a vote to amend the bylaws take place at the November 9 meeting. If the group has any additional recommended changes to the bylaws, they must be submitted within the next week or two, according to the time frame established in the bylaws. Notification of the vote to amend the bylaws will be sent at least two weeks prior to the next meeting.

Ludwig inquired as to how an Education official could be involved with the group; could that person be one of the "at large" positions to be appointed by the Chair, or might that be a permanent addition?

Kupillas agreed that there is a need to have Education at the table, and Griffin agreed to initiate the process with them.


Organization Updates


Firman reported that the Association of Oregon Community Mental Health Programs is partnering with DHS on equity issues. They are also involved in the HB 3024 process and will be presenting their plan to county commissioners and mental health directors at their November conference.

Ludwig reported that the statewide youth advisory council to the LOC is working on both alcohol and drug prevention and transportation for youth. She will keep LGAC informed of their progress.

In their absence Fultz reported for the Conference of Local Health Officials that they are working with DHS’ Health Services to identify possible gaps in the bio-terrorism response issue.

Fultz reported that the Association of Oregon Counties’ annual conference in scheduled for November 13-16 in Pendleton. The AOC would like a representative of DHS to attend and report on the status of reorganization and special session. The AOC recognizes this may be difficult, as the dates conflict with the next Emergency Board.

Vic Falgout reported that juvenile crime is down nationally. As a result of work done toward prevention, there now exists valuable research-based programming within the state.

Davidson reported that CADO is working on a county-by-county poverty report, as mandated by the Governor. As county census data will not be available until next year, objective data from CADO-hosted community forums will be utilized. The report is expected to be available by November 2002, at the same time as their Poverty Conference in Seaside. Davidson further reported that in response to the Governor’s initiation of a statewide Poverty Commission, CADO is expecting to have something operational within the next year. Additionally, they will be meeting with Shirley Iverson to discuss the Campaign for Fairness and reductions. She also reported that Bjornsen has agreed to serve on CADO’s conference planning committee.

Joyce reported that there are copies available of the 2001 Legislative Session Major Initiatives and the 2001-2003 Budget document if needed. The document is also available on-line. Additionally, a hearing before the Interim Committee on Health and Human Resources is scheduled for October 24. The agenda will include an overview of the DHS Reorganization and budget reductions, as well as bio-terrorism, adult foster home rates, the practitioner-managed prescription drug program, and other items.

Kupillas concluded the organizational updates with her report that she recently met with her Jackson County officials and SDA Manager Ida Saito. Kupillas was assured by Griffin that communication with the SDA Manager will continue. A focus will be on integrated services for senior and disabled and Hispanic people. Kupillas added that in the future she will bring a human services representative from Jackson County for updates.


Other Items


Handout #10Newspaper Clippings: Burns Times Herald & Clatskanie Chief

Handout #11DHS Organization Charts

No discussion of these handouts occurred. Copies of these documents were distributed to group members as informational only.

 

Future Agenda Items*

HIPAA

Budget

Reorganization

Bylaws Vote

Overview of House Bill 3024

*Actual agenda is dependent upon a meeting with the LGAC Executive Committee.


Next Meeting


Date: November 9, 2001

Time: 9:00a - 12:00p

Location: HSB 473



Note: 2:00 pm-4:00 pm Stakeholders/Partners Meeting

Location: HSB 137 A-D

If you would like copies of the handouts, contact:

Dena Comer

DHS Director’s Office, 4th Floor

500 Summer Street NE, E-15

Salem, OR 97301-1097

Telephone: (503) 945-6843

Americans with Disabilities Act Notice: Do you have a physical or mental impairment that makes it hard for you to communicate? If so, you can get this document in Braille, computer disk, large print or oral presentation by contacting Jessie Ferge, Department of Human Services, Director’s Office, (503) 945-6609, TTY (503) 945-6214.