Request for waiver of homestudy and placement report
According to OAR 413-140-0035 (5), and 413-140-0040 (5), DHS may file a waiver of the home study required under ORS 109.309 (5)(a)(C) and placement report required under ORS 109.309 (7)(a) under the following circumstances:
1. The petition is to adopt the stepchild of one the petitioners, and:
2. One of the petitioners is the grandparent, aunt, uncle, or adult sibling of the child, and:
- The petition has been served on all persons whose consent is required under ORS 109.312; and
- The petition has been served on each of the child's grandparents who has established rights under ORS 109.119 or 109.121, if the names and addresses are known or can be readily determined by the petitioners; or
- The child has resided with the petitioners on a continuous basis since birth for at least six months, or if an older child, for one or more years immediately prior to the filing of the adoption petition.
3. One of the petitioners is the biological or adoptive parent; co-petitioner and the parent are not married.
4. One of the petitioners is the biological parent; child is brought to term and delivered by a gestational carrier.
5. The child(ren) or the petitioners are currently receiving services from DHS-OSPC or have received such services within the last 12 months. There must be sufficient information that will allow DHS to determine that the adoption is in the best interest of the child and that the home study may be waived.
In either instance, petitioners must meet the following conditions:
- Each adoptive applicant (except biological or legal parent) and all members of the applicant's household who are over 18 years of age must submit to a current Oregon criminal records check and provide an official copy of such information to DHS [OAR 413-140-0065]; and
- The adoption petition must declare the child's connection with Oregon in accordance with ORS 109.741.
Please send the Request for Oregon Criminal History Information* and a check in the amount of $10 for each household member over the age of 18 to:
Oregon State Police
Identification Services Section, Unit 11
P.O. Box 4395
Portland, Oregon 97208-4395
Processing of criminal history takes approximately 3 weeks.
Please complete the attached Waiver Request Form* (PDF) and submit it to DHS along with copies of all documentation filed with the court. Send by registered or certified mail to:
DHS Independent Adoptions
Human Services Bldg.
500 Summer Street NE, E71
Salem, Oregon 97301-1068