Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Provider Enhanced and Special Rates

What is the enhanced rate?

In order to encourage providers to pursue training in child care subjects, and to reward those who make that effort, DHS is authorized to pay a higher rate, called the enhanced rate, to childcare providers who are listed on the Oregon Registry. In order to be listed on the Oregon Registry, providers must meet certain standards of training.

How do I qualify for the enhanced rate?

Family providers and centers who are exempt from Office of Child Care (OCC) certification must meet specific training requirements of the Oregon Registry if they wish to receive the enhanced rate. These requirements include:

  • Having completed at least two hours of training on Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect;

  • Being currently certified in Infant & Child CPR and First Aid;

  • Having a current Food Handler's permit;

  • Agreeing to complete and submit proof of a minimum of eight hours additional training related to child care issues every two years.

To be added to the Oregon Registry, you will need to submit an application and proof you've completed the first three requirements. For more information or an application, call the Oregon Registry at 1-877-725-8535, or 503-725-8535 in Portland, or go to their Web site at www.centerline.pdx.edu link opens in a new window. To find trainings in your area, contact your local Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R): find your nearest CCR&R.

If you meet the training requirements for Step 1 of the Oregon Registry you automatically meet the Enhanced Rate Training requirements. The enhanced rate will take effect no later than 60 days after your name has been added to the Oregon Registry.

It is your responsibility to keep your first aid, CPR and food handler certifications current.

How do I get a higher rate for children with special needs?

  • Special needs rate
    A higher rate is available for children or youth with disabilities. If the child or youth requires a higher level of care for their age due to a physical, behavioral or medical disability, the need must be verified, and the provider must state that the child needs a higher than normal level of care. To do that, the provider signs the Special Need Child Care Rate Request form (DHS 7486). The family can get this form from their DHS worker.

  • High Needs Program
    If a child or youth requires a much higher level of care, a supplemental payment may also be available. This is called the "High Needs Program" and involves an assessment of the child. The assessment is done, at no cost to the family or the provider, by a specialist from the DHS Inclusive Child Care Program.

    If a provider identifies a child or youth who requires a much higher level of care, they should discuss this with the family and contact the DHS caseworker or the Inclusive Child Care Program at 1-866-837-0250 (971-673-2286 in Portland) or send an email to contact.iccp@state.or.us. Once a referral is made, an individual assessment is done to determine if a supplemental payment is appropriate.


Complete list of rates