Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Information for parents

A couple with a child

About the DHS Child Care Program

Affording child care can be a real struggle for working families. It can cost as much as rent - or more -- especially if parents work odd hours, have more than one child, or have an infant or a child with special needs.

ERDC helps eligible low income working families pay for the child care they need so they can keep working. It works like this: DHS pays a portion of the cost of the childcare directly to the child care provider. Most parents are also responsible for paying part of the child care bill, known as the copay, directly to the provider. For more information, see our quick reference FAQ page or our Parent Guide booklet below.

  • Frequently asked Questions - This quick reference includes answers to commonly asked questions about who is eligible, how to apply, and how the program works.
  • Parent guide to child care - The online version of our booklet for parents, with more detailed information on what to look for in a child care provider for their children, how the ERDC program works, and other resources. Available in other languages.
  • Parent Flyer - This flyer explains the benefits of using a child care provider who is already listed with DHS.
  • Qualifying for child care assistance - Eligibility guidelines and tools for families to see if they might be eligible. (You must visit a DHS office to know for sure.)
  • Copay estimate link opens in a new window - Most DHS clients also pay part of their child care costs, called a copay. This tool will help you determine how much you might pay.
  • Child Care Resource & referral agencies - Here is a link to a listing of local CCR&Rs by county. CCR&Rs help parents (not just DHS clients) find local providers.
  • Parents as Scholars - The DHS Parents as Scholars (PAS) program provides assistance to parents who are or will be undergraduates in two- or four-year degree programs.
  • Student Child Care Program link opens in a new window - Student families may be eligible for financial help to pay for child care costs through the Oregon Student Assistance Commission.