Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image


Supports for Adults


Access, and Adult Services



As a child with developmental disabilities nears the age of adulthood (18), efforts will be made to establish adult eligibility, apply for Social Security benefits, and plan the transition from school and any children’s services to adult comprehensive or support services.


Access to Adult Services

You may receive supports when the local Community Developmental Disabilities Program (CDDP) has established adult eligibility. Adult services are available for eligible individuals aged 18 or over.

Once adult eligibility has been established, a representative from the county will work with an adult and their family or legal representatives to assess needs and plan for access to support or comprehensive services. Entrance to services may not be immediate. For persons waiting to enter support services, the CDDP should be able to establish an approximate time period for entrance.


Transition From School to Adult Services

Young people between the ages of 18 and 22, with developmental disabilities and an Individual Education Plan are legally entitled to stay in school. The school’s job is to provide education with services that prepare the student for transition to work, living and community inclusion. Young adults and their families are encouraged to clearly establish desired adult goals and maximize school resources to help achieve them.  Learn more about transitioning from school to work... 


Transition From Children’s Residential to Adult Services

Transition planning for movement from children’s residential to adult services will begin at the age of 17. In some cases, young adults (age 18-21) may continue to reside at a children’s residential site until they leave school.


Available Adult Services

The services available will be based upon individual need, area resources, and other eligibility criteria. Each individual is eligible for service coordination only, support services, or comprehensive services.

  • Service Coordination Only
    Service coordination support is provided to any adult with developmental disabilities not enrolled in any other funded service. An individual receiving Service Coordination Only is either waiting to enter support services at a planned enrollment date or has refused other services.

    County Services Coordinators meet at least annually with each person to review their current situation, identify needs, and make referrals for essential services. Planning will focus particularly on needs related to a living situation, health and safety or behavior concerns.
  • Support Services For Adults
    Supports provided to eligible adults living in their own or family home to help them remain in their home and be engaged in the community. An individual is assisted to direct a person centered plan and budget and arrange for needed services. The plan and budget level varies, but must be less than an amount specified in the Support Services waiver.

    Support services are being developed as a result of the Staley lawsuit settlement agreement. Support Services uses federal funds that would have otherwise paid for an institutional setting to provide long term care to eligible individuals in their home and community. A Home and Community Based Care Waiver – Support Services Fact Sheet describes federal and state requirements and ways services are delivered.
  • Comprehensive Services
    24-hour care and support provided outside the immediate family/individual’s home OR services and supports provided in a family home that cost in excess of an amount specified in the Comprehensive Services waiver. Support may be delivered in the program of Comprehensive In Home Supports, 24 Hour Residential Supports and Employment and Community Inclusion Supports that best meet the needs of the individual. The Community Developmental Disabilities Program is responsible for evaluating referrals based upon established eligibility criteria. A County Services Coordinator than assists each adult in development of a plan. Provider organizations chosen to meet the needs of an individual in Comprehensive Services are, in most cases, paid through a County contract.

    Comprehensive Services are provided under a federal Medicaid Waiver as an alternative to placement in an institution or Intermediate Care Facility for persons with Mental Retardation (ICF/MR). A Home and Community Based Care Waiver – Comprehensive Service Fact Sheet describes federal and state requirements and ways services are delivered.


Adult Services and Basic Financial Assistance

Support Service or Comprehensive Service funds are used to address needs related to long-term care and supports necessary as a result of a disability. They are not used for essential food, clothing or shelter.

Social Security and or other income will be used to meet individual’s basic needs. Before your 18th birthday your Case Manager or others may help you in a visit to the local Social Security Office to apply for benefits.

There are several other resources or programs available in Oregon for persons with disabilities who meet income or eligibility criteria. Some programs that may be of assistance to you:

Back to top