Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Supports for Adults

24-Hour Comprehensive Residential Supports  


Comprehensive residential services provide 24-hour supports for adults with developmental disabilities in settings other than a family home. A description of supports, certification or license requirements, how referrals are made, and the process for an individual support plan (ISP) are identified for foster care homes. group homes, supported living, state operated community programs and Eastern Oregon Training Center. In addition to residential supports, individuals with 24-hour supports are often receiving employment and community inclusion supports.

Foster Care Homes

Foster Care is a Comprehensive Service. Foster care Homes are responsible for providing up to 24 hours of care, supervision, and training to individuals with developmental disabilities. Support provides assistance with activities of daily living and help individuals' access other community resources that increase their integration and independence. Room and Board funded with Social Security or other income is also a part of the service. Services are in a family home, but not the home of a parent, guardian, or family member.

Providers of Foster Care require licensure by the Department of Human Services, Seniors and Persons with Disabilities under the Adult Foster Home Rules; OAR Chapter 411, Division 360. Foster homes are licensed for one to five residents. Local County DD Program staff are responsible for Initial and follow-up evaluation related to licensure.

Individuals living in Foster Care Homes may enter/exit the program through referral of the County Service Coordinators. A Foster Care Home may also choose to support an individual with disabilities who has "private pay" resources within its established certified capacity.

All residents in Foster Care Homes must have an Individual Support Plan (ISP) which is updated annually.

You can download the required forms:

  • Foster Care Individual Support Plan - Word
  • Foster Care Individual Support Plan Signature Sheet - Word

For persons in comprehensive services, the Services Coordinator will help in the development of the ISP. For "private pay" residents the Foster Care Home provider is responsible for the development of the ISP.

Group Homes

Residential facilities in the community designed to provide 24-hour supervised care, training and support for individuals with developmental disabilities. Group homes provide room and board as well as an array of services to residents. Group homes can very in the number of individuals who live there and the number of staff, depending on the support needs of the individuals. There are some group homes designed to serve individuals with complex medical needs, as well as those with challenging behavioral needs.

Most group homes are operated by private, non-profit agencies, while some group homes are operated by the State. There are group homes for children as well as adults.

Each group home must be licensed by the Department of Human Services, Seniors and Persons with Disabilities licensing that outlines the rules and regulations for how a group home is operated.

All individuals living in a group home must have an Individual Support Plan (ISP). This is a comprehensive plan that outlines the type of training, and level of support and supervision needed to help an individual live as safely and as independently as possible.

Contact your local Community Developmental Disability Program (CDDP) for further information.

Supported Living Services

Supported living services provide individualized supports, delivered in a personalized manner, to adults with developmental disabilities who live in the home of their choice. Levels of support are based on the individual's needs and preferences as defined in the Individual Support Plan. Services include up to 24 hours a day of training and support, which promotes opportunities for individuals to be a part of and participate in the community in which they live.

For additional information on how to access Supported Living Services in your local community contact: your Community Developmental Disabilities Program.

Each supported living site must be certified by the Department of Human Services, Seniors and Persons with Disabilities licensing using approved state standards that outline the rules and regulations for how supported living operates. (ORA 411-340- ).

You may download the Supported Living Budget Template and Instructions.


State Operated Community Programs (SOCP)

SOCP is a comprehensive service that provides 24-hour care and supervision to people in Oregon with developmental disabilities who represent the most risk to the public at large, their peers, or themselves. SOCP provides residential care, employment and community inclusion support, which include health and medical care, behavioral support, personal care, vocational training, job support, education, recreation, psychological services and community integration.

SOCP is dedicated to providing the support necessary to maintain the quality of life, achieve the highest possible level of independence and promote social opportunities, which benefit the individuals and the community.

Each SOCP group home must be licensed by the Department of Human Services, Seniors and Persons with Disabilities licensing using approved state standards.

Each individual residing in the program has an Individual Support Plan (ISP) that emphasizes community integration, independence, and productivity, has daily implementation agendas, and is monitored by county case management. SOCP utilizes the person centered Individual Support Plan process outlined by the State developed in conjunction with Oregon Technical Assistance Corporation (OTAC).

Contact the local Community Developmental Disabilities Program (CDDP) for further information and referral to SOCP.

Hiring of SOCP Staff

SOCP hires employees through the State recruitment process. Positions available are Habilitative Training Technician 2, Mental Health Therapist, Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, Respiratory Therapists, Principle Executive Manager B, Manual Arts, Trainer/Behavior Specialists and Training and Development Specialists. Checking the State of Oregon Jobs page is the best way to stay abreast of any job opportunities.

These homes are licensed through the Federal Centers for Medicare/Medicaid Services (CMS), and the State of Oregon, as an Intermediate Care Facility for Persons with Mental Retardation (ICF/MR). See: OAR 309-042-0000 and ORS 427.005 to 427.345.