DHS news release
May 25, 2007
General contact: Bonnie Widerburg, 971-673-1282
Technical contact: Katy King, 971-673-1265
Public Health Advisory Board meets Friday in Salem
The Public Health Advisory Board will meet June 1 to hear presentations and discuss topics related to public health issues affecting Oregonians.
The meeting is from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. in Room 137AB of the Human Services Building, 500 Summer Street NE in Salem.
Agenda topics and approximate times include:
• 9-9:20 a.m. -- Announcements, minutes approval;
• 9:20-9:40 a.m. -- Discussion of bylaw update and vote;
• 9:40-10 a.m. -- PHAB membership and recruitment;
• 10-10:30 a.m. -- Public health update by Susan Allan, M.D., J.D., M.P.H, Oregon Department of Human Services Public Health Division administrator;
• 10:30-10:45 a.m. -- Update on DHS Public Health Division budget and Legislative activities;
• 11-11:30 a.m. -- Public health workforce development, brainstorm opportunities for linkages with academic institutions;
• 11:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. -- Loss of timber funds and implications on Oregon's public health system;
• 12-1 p.m. -- Lunch with a Leader Bruce Goldberg, M.D., will discuss the role of public health in health care reform;
• 1-1:30 p.m. -- SB 234 Biopharming discussion, including decision-making process and the role of the Public Health Director;
• 1:30-2 p.m. -- Public comment.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided as needed for individuals requesting assistive hearing devices, sign language interpreters or large-print materials. Individuals needing these types of accommodations are asked to call the DHS Public Health Division, 971-673-1229, at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting.
PHAB is a 15-member board whose members are appointed by the Governor and are charged with reviewing statewide public health issues and advising the DHS Public Health Division on public health policy matters.