Adult Foster Home (AFH) Providers and Caregivers are required by Oregon Administrative Rules to complete continuing education requirements for purposes of annual licensing.
The DHS AFH Training Credit Committee must review course information and authorize any training credits issued for the continuing education requirements of AFH Providers and Caregivers. AFH Providers, Caregivers, Instructors and Sponsors of training events may submit a request for training credit approval.
Included below are instructions for selecting and completing the correct request form, links to the forms, instructions for submitting your request and information about the AFH Training Credit Committee review and approval process. Please Note:
AFH Providers and caregivers may take any course or training for extended learning or skill enhancement that they wish. However, only those courses or trainings that have been approved for training credits by the AFH Training Credit Committee may count towards the individual's required continuing education.
SDS 1513 - Licensed AFH Providers or AFH Caregivers
If you are a licensed foster provider or AFH caregiver requesting training credit approval, use form SDS 1513.
SDS 1510 - Instructors/Trainers, Agencies, DHS Staff or Others
If you are an instructor, sponsor of a training event, agency, DHS staff member or other entity requesting authorization for training credit approval for the continuing education requirements of AFH providers or caregivers, use form SDS 1510.
Download and complete the form:
--Indicate if you plan to offer the course more than once for annual and potentially ongoing approval.
--Indicate if you have ever been licensed or approved by the Department to provide care.
--List your qualifications and credentials to teach on the requested topic (resumes, certificates, etc.)
Instructions for completing SDS 1510 and 1513:
The SDS 1510 and SDS 1513 require the same general information. Instructions and examples for completing the forms are included below.
- Intended Audience - Check the box indicating which provider type you are requesting credit for. You may select more than one.
- Requestor information - Please include an email address, as this expedites the AFH Training Committee response time.
- Training Information - Make sure this information is complete. If you are requesting that we post a training, it is critical that we have the following information:
- Location of the training
- Date(s) of training
- Time (beginning and ending time)
- Cost of training
- Registration (Indicate who to contact or how to register)
- Limits on Participation - Indicate if the training is intended for a select group of individuals. (For example: "Staff at Homer's AFH" or "Intended for AMH providers in Lincoln County only.")
- Instructor/Trainer/Presenter/Author - Include this if known. If submitting for video, web-based or literary requests, indicate the author, agency or any information that identifies the source of the training.
- Credits requested - Indicate the number of hours requested. Do not indicate a range such as 2-3 hours. Note: The training committee will not grant training credit hours for time designated for breaks, lunches, vendor fairs or product demonstrations. This may apply to community offerings such as conferences, local classes or local office meetings.
- Description and Applicability - Requests must clearly describe course content and must demonstrate applicability to the maintenance and/or improvement of skills to provide support in the AFH. Approval of credit hours will not be granted for offerings that have no direct relationship to skill development for the provision of care or services provided in the AFH. Submit as much information as possible. Avoid submitting a website address only; print out the web information and submit it with your request; likewise for video or requests involving literature (a synopsis of the book content, demonstration of video content will be required). Do not submit certificates of completion, instead submit any training materials that you have such as PowerPoint slides, handouts, copies of the tests participants must take to receive a certificate.
- Types of requests that have been declined:
- Personal tax preparation time
- Preparing for retirement
- Courses geared for medical professionals in clinical settings
- Self help or self awareness course (excluding caring for caregiver)
- Product demonstrations
- Types of requests that have been approved:
- Caring for the Caregiver
- Specific disability focus, or focus on the individual(s) requiring care, diagnosis (Alzheimer's, diabetes, autism, depression, etc).
- Documentation and Recordkeeping for AFH.
- Mandatory Abuse and Protective Services
- Behavior Supports
- Format (Choose one) - Indicate the format of the training materials (video, self study etc.)
- Additional Documentation - Submit as much information that you can provide and check each box as it applies to the materials you are sending (course outline, handouts, registration form).
- Web Posting - Indicate if you would like the information published on the AFH training website. The "Training Information" section noted above will be used for the web site posting.
Complete form SDS 1510 or SDS 1513 and submit by email, fax or U.S. mail as noted below, along with any required materials as noted on the form. Submissions must be received by 5:00 pm Wednesday for consideration the following Monday.
Do not submit materials directly to committee members or other DHS staff.
The Adult Foster Home Training Credit Committee will review and consider all requests.
- Submissions received by 5:00 pm Wednesday will be reviewed the following Monday. In the event of a Monday holiday, the Committee will meet the following day and written responses may be delayed an additional day.
- Incomplete submissions will not be processed.
- After review and determination, responses will be emailed or mailed by 5:00 pm on Tuesday.
- Initial orientation and training required to become a licensed provider or new caregiver will not be approved for annual training credits.