Licensed Facilities and Authority
A variety of licensed facilities in the community provide care and assistance for individuals needing help with activities of daily living, medication administration and personal care. The Department of Human Services, Seniors and People with Physical Disabilities Division, Office of Licensing and Quality of Care license the following types of facilities:
- Residential Care Facilities
- Assisted Living Facilities
- Nursing Facilities
Adult Foster Homes are licensed by the local DHS office or Area Agency on Aging where the home is located.
Licensing Process and Standards
To be licensed, certain standards must be met and maintained. All facilities are inspected periodically and surveys are conducted. Learn more about the licensing and survey process at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
Facility Complaint, Investigation and Reporting Process
Making a Complaint
To make a complaint, contact the local DHS or Area Agency on Aging office in the area where the facility is located.
When an Adult Protective Services complaint is made, a screener will gather information in order to determine the most appropriate response. Some of the information you may be asked to provide will be:
- Details about the person you are concerned about such as age, where they live, and their current level of functioning;
- A description of the problem or the situation you feel is abusive or neglectful;
- Information about other people or witnesses the investigator may want to speak to that have direct information about your complaint;
- Whether or not the person is in immediate danger or at imminent risk of harm;
- Details about how to contact you in the future if additional information is needed or if you would like a copy of the non-confidential public report.
Note: State law protects the confidentiality of all people reporting abuse and anyone who reports suspected abuse in good faith. The Department also accepts anonymous complaints of abuse or neglect.
Complaint Investigation and Reporting
In Oregon, thousands of complaints are made on behalf of residents of facilities each year. If a complaint is made involving a facility that is licensed to provide care, the following actions are taken: