Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
News Releases
Hiring an unlicensed tax preparer to do your taxes can be risky
SALEM—No matter who does your taxes-an unlicensed tax preparer, you, your brother, a seasoned tax professional-you are ultimately responsible for the accuracy of your tax returns, the Oregon Department of Revenue advises.

Marvin Rhodes, administrator of the personal income tax division, recommends checking the credentials of the person you hire to do your taxes. In Oregon, all professionals who do taxes must be licensed by the state.
"If you hire an unlicensed preparer, you take a greater risk of having your returns prepared incorrectly," Rhodes said.
Report unlicensed tax preparers to the Board of Tax Practitioners, or call 503-378-4034.

Rhodes also suggests reviewing your tax returns before submitting them.
 "You are responsible for the information on your return."

To find out if your tax professional is licensed, visit:
Tax preparers
Certified Public Accountants
For more information on Oregon income taxes, tax forms and instructions, and to check the status of your refund, visit www.oregon.gov/DOR, or call 1-800-356-4222 toll-free from an Oregon prefix (English or Spanish); 503-378-4988 in Salem and outside Oregon; or e-mail. For TTY (hearing or speech impaired), call 1-800-886-7204. Because of the volume of calls the department receives during tax season, callers may experience extended waiting times.