Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
News Releases
Hiring an unlicensed tax preparer to do your taxes can be risky
SALEM—No matter who does your taxes—a licensed tax professional, an unlicensed tax preparer, you, a relative, or your best friend—you are ultimately responsible for the accuracy of your tax returns, according to the Oregon Department of Revenue.

Marvin Rhodes, administrator of the personal income tax division, recommends checking the credentials of the person you hire to do your taxes. In Oregon, all professionals who do taxes must be licensed by the state.
"If you hire an unlicensed preparer, you put yourself at risk for incorrectly prepared returns," Rhodes said. "And it could be a costly mistake."
He also suggests reviewing your tax returns before submitting them.
"Because you're responsible for the accuracy of your return, you should know what's on it before anyone hits the send button."

Visit these websites to find out if the person you want to hire is licensed in Oregon:
• Tax preparers: Oregon Tax Practitioners Board 
• Certified Public Accountants: Oregon Board of Accountancy
Report unlicensed tax preparers to the Tax Practitioners Board.
Do you need information on Oregon income taxes, tax forms and instructions, to check the status of your refund, access your tax account or contact us?
The department receives a lot of phone calls during tax season so you may experience long wait times.