Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Tax Fraud Frequently Asked Questions
General Questions

Q. Can I report tax fraud anonymously?

A. Yes, you do not have to provide your name or number. However, if we are unable to contact you, we may not have enough information to conduct a thorough review.

Q. I do not have all of the information requested on the fraud reporting form, could I still
submit the tip?

A. Go ahead and fill in what you do know. We will start a review based on the information provided.

Q. How can I find out the results of a reported fraud tip?

A. Confidentiality laws prohibit us from sharing with you any steps taken as a result of fraud tips.

Questions About Employers
Q. My employer pays me in cash, is this okay?
A. Being paid in cash is fine, as long as your employer is withholding tax from your pay. If there are no withholdings from your pay, your employer might not be reporting you properly as an employee. Your employer should provide a pay stub showing your gross pay, withheld taxes, and net pay for the pay period. In addition, you should also receive a W-2 at the end of the year for all cash or check payments.

Q. My employer refuses to withhold taxes from my paycheck, what can I do?

A. Please report this as tax fraud using our online form. To protect yourself while we conduct an investigation, you should make estimated payments using Form 40-ESV. To learn more about estimated tax payments and how to complete Form 40-ESV, read these instructions.

Q. My employer told me I am an independent contractor, but I feel as if I am an employee.
    What should I do?

A. Visit the Oregon Independent Contractors website for definitions of employees and independent contractors. If you still feel misclassified, please submit a tax fraud tip using our online form.