Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Common Questions for Getting Started
Is Certification Required?
Oregon Revised Statutes 181.870 Definitions. As used in ORS 181.620, 181.870 to 181.887, 181.991 and 203.090:
(1) “Certification” means recognition by the Department of Public Safety      Standards and Training that a private security professional meets all of the qualifications listed in ORS 181.875.
(2) “Executive manager” means a person:
      (a) Who is authorized to act on behalf of a company or business in matters of
      licensure and certification;
      (b) Who is authorized to hire and terminate personnel;
      (c) Whose primary responsibility is the management of certified private
       security professionals; and
      (d) Who has final responsibility for a company’s or business’s compliance with 
      ORS 181.870 to 181.887.
(3) “Instructor” means any person who has been certified by the department
as meeting the requirements to provide instruction to private security providers or applicants.
(4) “License” means recognition by the department that an executive manager or supervisory manager meets the requirements adopted by the Board on Public Safety Standards and Training as necessary to provide private security services.
(5) “Primary responsibility” means an activity that is fundamental to, and required or expected in, the regular course of employment and is not merely incidental to employment.
(6) “Private security professional” means an individual who performs, as the individual’s primary responsibility, private security services for consideration, regardless of whether the individual, while performing the private security services, is armed or unarmed or wears a uniform or plain clothes, and regardless of whether the individual is employed part-time or full-time to perform private security services.
(7) “Private security provider” means any individual who performs the functions of a private security professional, executive manager, supervisory manager or instructor.
(8) “Private security services” means the performance of at least one of the following activities:
      (a) Observing and reporting unlawful activity.
      (b) Preventing or detecting theft or misappropriation of goods, money or
      other items of value.
      (c) Protecting individuals or property, including but not limited to proprietary
       information, from harm or misappropriation.
      (d) Controlling access to premises being protected.
      (e) Securely moving prisoners.
      (f) Taking enforcement action by detaining persons or placing persons under
       arrest under ORS 133.225.
      (g) Providing canine services for guarding premises or for detecting unlawful
       devices or substances.
(9) “Supervisory manager” means an employee of or a person supervised by an executive manager who has as a primary responsibility the supervision of certified private security professionals.
If you provide private security services as defined above, and your role does not fall under the exemptions listed in Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 181.871, you do have to be certified and/or licensed to provide private security services.
Starting a Business

How do I start a security business in Oregon?
To establish a company in Oregon, at least one person must be licensed to the level of Executive Manager (EM). The EM will be the individual responsible for the overall compliance of the company to the standards and regulations as outlined in Oregon Administrative Rule and Oregon Revised Statute. The EM is an individual who is authorized to act on behalf of a company or business in matters of licensure and certification, authorized to hire and terminate personnel, primary responsibility is the management of certified private security professionals and who has final responsibility for a company's or business' compliance with ORS 181.870 to 181.887.

Once a person is selected to fill the role of EM, he or she will need to submit to an application packet, see 'How to Apply for Private Security'.

Additionally the chosen EM would submit to us company letterhead identifying him or herself as the EM of the company, listing the Federal Tax ID (EIN) Number, and any employees that will be providing private security services for the company.

Working for Various Companies

I want to provide security services to various bars or other businesses; do I need to be certified?

Yes. Please see the section “Is Certification Required?” above. You will also need to establish yourself as your own company. Please see “Starting a business” above for further information.

Qualification of Certification

Do I qualify for certification or licensure as a private security provider?

Once you establish whether you need to be certified, the next step is to determine if you are eligible to hold certification/licensure as defined in OAR 259-060-0020. 

  • You may view the mandatory grounds for denying, suspending or revoking a private security certification/licensure in OAR 259-060-0300(2).
  • You discretionary grounds for denying, suspending or revoking private security certification/licensure in OAR 259-060-0300(4). 


What Paperwork is Required?

What paperwork, training, or fees do I need to take or submit to become certified? 

Please see 'How to Apply for Private Security'.