Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Restrictions/Regulations for Private Security Providers/Companies and Out-of-State Inquiries

Restrictions/Regulations for Private Security Providers/Companies

Are there any restrictions or regulations for Private Security Providers or Companies?
If you have a private security certification or own a business that employs private security providers, it is your responsibility to be aware of other state and federals law that restrict or regulate you and your business.
For example, some relevant restrictions and laws that are not regulated or enforced by DPSST are: criminal impersonation, criminal impersonation of a peace officer, copying or imitating the standard Oregon State Police uniform, knowingly falsifying any information pertinent to an application for private security certification, prohibited lighting on vehicles, and misuse of the Oregon State Seal.
These items are examples of Oregon Revised Statutes, which if violated, may result in an arrest or citation by a law enforcement officer or sanctioned by the governing agency.   Additionally, if there is a violation of Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR) or Oregon Revised Statues (ORS) and it is directly related to your job and/or the functions of a private security provider or company, these violations could result in an investigation and sanctions by DPSST.

Back to Top

Out of State Inquires

Does your program have reciprocity with any other state?
No. Any individual applying to provide services in or for Oregon should refer to the Getting Started page for information.

What type of business license do I need for my company?
Our program certifies and licenses individuals, not companies. Please refer to the Getting Started page for more information.

Do we need to have a company in Oregon, or does there have to be a manager in Oregon?
No. We do not require a resident business or manager in Oregon.

Back to Top