Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image

Elliott State Forest

Information

The Elliott State Forest near Reedsport is comprised of mostly Common School Forest Land - 91 percent (about 84,000 acres) of the 92,000-acre forest. The remaining 9% (8,000 acres) are Board of Forestry lands.

The Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF) manages forestland for the State Land Board through an interagency agreement with DSL. Revenue generated from timber sales and other uses goes to the Common School Fund, which helps fund public education throughout Oregon.  

Each year, ODF and DSL jointly approve operations plans for each state forest containing common school land. The plans include managing timber harvests, roads, vegetation, species protection, replanting, wildlife surveying and recreation. 
In recent years, timber harvests have been greatly reduced due primarily to the protection of threatened and endangered species resulting in net deficits from managing the Elliott.  In 2013, loss from the Elliott was $3 million and deficits are projected to continue.  Draining money from the Common School Fund to maintain an asset violates the Trust responsibilities of the State Land Board.  In May of 2014, the Department of State Lands initiated the Elliott State Forest Alternatives Project to develop a range of feasible business models for future ownership and management of the forest the will satisfy the Trust responsibilities. The goal of this project is to deliver options to the State Land Board by the end of 2014.​



Back to Top
​​​