Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Do you need a lease?
moorage lease  
Oregon's State-Owned Submerged and Submersible Lands
The following uses of state-owned submerged and submersible lands require a lease from DSL:
  • Industrial and/or commercial business areas
  • Houseboats and houseboat moorages
  • Commercial and workboat moorages
  • Log storage and booming areas, including millside boom makeup and breakdown areas
  • Historical vessels
  • Combination boat houses and combination boat house moorages
  • Marinas
  • Private non-commercial docks/floats and boat houses larger than 2,500 square feet (excluding gangways, dolphins, pilings and protective booms)
  • Floating recreational cabins larger than 1,500 square feet (excluding gangways, dolphins, pilings and protective booms)
  • Aquaculture of plants and animals for domestic or commercial use (excluding oysters, clams and mussels)
  • Other structures not qualifying for registration
  • Sand and gravel removal
  • Other uses not exempted by law
To obtain a lease
The lease application form is available from the menu at the left.
You may also contact the leasing specialist by phone at 503-986-5242, or by email to request that a form be mailed, emailed or faxed to you.
The following uses on or over state-owned submerged and submersible lands may require a license, easement or right-of-way from DSL:
  • Water ditches for irrigation, manufacturing, mining
  • Water ditches or pipes for domestic use or fire extinguishments
  • Domestic and industrial water supply mains and sanitary pressure mains
  • Outfall structures, including storm water, sewer, cooling water outfalls and other structures that discharge material
  • Water gas, electric, or communication service lines, fixtures and facilities
  • Railroad tracks, bridges and related facilities
  • Roadways and bridges for motor traffic, bicycles, and pedestrians
  • Skylines, logging lines, ferry skylines and cable footbridges
  • Boat ramps, landings, transient docks/floats and viewing structures owned by a public agency
See also:
Lease Q&As
Many easements also need a removal-fill permit from the Department.