Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Special Uses of State Land
Special Use Authorization
communication towers
Communication Towers, Steens

The Department of State Lands offers leases, licenses and permits for a wide variety of uses of state-owned lands not authorized by other agency rules. 

A special use authorization allows a person to use a specific area of state-owned land under specific terms and conditions for a specific length of time.   Among the uses governed by the special uses administrative rules (OAR 141-125-0100 through 141-125-0220) are:  

  • Agriculture
  • Communications facilities
  • Industrial, business and commercial purposes
  • Recreational cabins
  • Motion picture filming and set construction
  • Renewable energy projects not governed by other rules
  • Scientific experiments and demonstration projects
  • Sporting and other events
  • Sunken log and abandoned piling salvage
  • Upland quarries.
For a special use authorization, fill out a Special Use Application form.
There is a $750.00 non-refundable application processing fee.

If you have questions concerning a use of state-owned land which is governed by these rules, please contact the DSL Property Manager for the county in which the land is located.