Agricultural Drainage General Permit Available
The 2011 Legislature passed Senate Bill 600, which includes language allowing the Department of State Lands to establish by rule a General Permit for removing up to 100 cubic yards of material to maintain drainage and protect agricultural land.
A GP was adopted as a temporary rule on April 1, 2012, and is now available for landowners on an annual basis. There is no fee for this permit.
The GP allows for disposal of up to 100 cubic yards of spoil material placed in adjacent converted wetlands if an upland disposal site is not available. The material must be spread out in such a way that wetlands are not converted to upland.
Unless made permanent by the Department, the temporary rule will expire on Oct. 1 of this year. The Department will evaluate the GP in terms of environmental impacts before considering making the GP permanent.
Additional information is available from Gloria Kiryuta, removal-fill resource coordinator.
General Permit Application