Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Public invited to Willamette River workshop
For immediate release                                                                             11-06
More information:  Nancy Pustis – 503-986-5308; nancy.pustis@state.or.us
                                 Julie Curtis – 503-986-5298; julie.curtis@state.or.us 
Discussion centers on uses of the river’s bed and banks from the Sellwood Bridge to North Marion County 
Oregon City – Property owners are invited to learn more about state authorizations needed for uses and structures – such as boat docks, boat houses and marinas - on a 64-mile stretch of the Willamette River at a public workshop:
March 29, 2011
3:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Clackamas County Land Use and Zoning Development Services Building
Room 115
150 Beavercreek Rd.
Oregon City
At statehood, Oregon was given title to the beds and banks of all navigable rivers below the line of ordinary high water. As directed by the State Land Board, the Department of State Lands (DSL) has been systematically inventorying structures on and uses of state-owned land along waterways.
In the late 1990s, most of the state-owned waterways on the west side of the state were inventoried for structures and uses on these state lands. In 2010, DSL re-inventoried this stretch of the Willamette. The department leases state land for a variety of commercial and recreational uses. Revenue from waterway authorizations is deposited into the Common School Fund.
Workshop notices were sent to landowners, local officials and other interested parties, along with information on state-owned "submerged and submersible" land, definitions, and state law related to waterway ownership.
More information about the workshop is available from April Pena, Department of State Lands; april.pena@state.or.us; 503-986-5284.
The State Land Board consists of Governor John Kitzhaber, Secretary of State Kate Brown and State Treasurer Ted Wheeler. The Department of State Lands administers diverse natural and fiscal resources. Many of the resources generate revenue for the Common School Fund, such as state-owned rangelands and timberlands, waterway leases, estates for which no will or heirs exist, and unclaimed property. Twice a year, the agency distributes fund investment earnings to support K-12 public schools. The agency also administers Oregon's Removal-Fill Law, which requires people removing or filling certain amounts of material in waters of the state to obtain a permit.