Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Permits may be needed for using "Mt. NOAA" fill
For immediate release                                                                                   11-09
More information:  Julie Curtis - 503-986-5298; julie.curtis@state.or.us
Newport - While the Port of Newport is giving away free fill from the construction site of the NOAA homeport, the Oregon Department of State Lands (DSL) wants to remind takers that a removal-fill permit may be needed for filling wetlands and other state waters in the region.
The state's Removal-Fill Law, enacted in the 1960s, requires anyone who plans to fill or remove material from "waters of the state" to obtain a permit from DSL. These waters include the Pacific Ocean within three miles of shore, and wetlands, tidal bays, estuaries, streams, ponds and certain ditches.
The volume of material being removed, filled or altered is considered when determining if a permit is required, said DSL resource coordinator for Lincoln County, Carrie Landrum.  Any amount of earthwork in waterways or wetlands designated as "essential salmon habitat" requires a permit. In other wetlands and waterways, a combined volume of 50 cubic yards or more of fill, removal or alteration requires a permit.
"Working without a permit could result in substantial civil penalties, and we certainly want to avoid that by informing the public of Oregon's removal-fill regulations," said Landrum. "The NOAA project is significant for the central coast, and we want to make sure the word gets out about possible permits needed when using this fill material," she said.
DSL sent 100 brochures to the Port of Newport for distribution to anyone who gets fill from the construction site, and additional information is available from Landrum (503-986-5285, Salem).
The State Land Board consists of Governor John Kitzhaber, Secretary of State Kate Brown and State Treasurer Ted Wheeler. The Department of State Lands administers diverse natural and fiscal resources. Many of the resources generate revenue for the Common School Fund, such as state-owned rangelands and timberlands, waterway leases, estates for which no will or heirs exist, and unclaimed property. Twice a year, the agency distributes fund investment earnings to support K-12 public schools. The agency also administers Oregon's Removal-Fill Law, which requires people removing or filling certain amounts of material in waters of the state to obtain a permit.