Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Dec. 10, 2012
For immediate release                                                                                                 12-20
More information:     Julie Curtis – 503-986-5298; julie.curtis@state.or.us
                                      Chris Castelli - 503-986-5281;chris.castelli@state.or.us
 Public testimony invited for limiting vehicles on Chetco River
Comments at formal hearing will provide input into new state rules
Brookings – The public is invited to a hearing to provide comments on proposed new rules to limit motorized vehicle use in the Chetco River owned by the state of Oregon (Oregon Department of State Lands):
            Wednesday, Dec. 19
5:00 p.m.
Brookings City Hall
            898 Elk Drive, Brookings
The rulemaking is in response to an October 2011 petition from the Chetco River Watershed Council that sought adoption of a rule limiting motorized vehicles in the wetted river channel.
The State Land Board in December 2011 authorized the Department to initiate rulemaking to impose additional restrictions under the administrative rules on “Public Recreational Use of State-Owned Property” (OAR 141-088). 
An advisory committee worked with Department staff to revise the rules. A draft is available on the agency’s website, in addition to background information and committee meeting minutes: http://www.oregon.gov/dsl/Pages/rules_activity.aspx,
The State Land Board consists of Governor John Kitzhaber, Secretary of State Kate Brown and State Treasurer Ted Wheeler. The Department of State Lands administers diverse natural and fiscal resources. Many of the resources generate revenue for the Common School Fund, such as state-owned rangelands and timberlands, waterway leases, estates for which no will or heirs exist, and unclaimed property. Twice a year, the agency distributes fund investment earnings to support K-12 public schools. The agency also administers Oregon’s Removal-Fill Law, which requires people removing or filling certain amounts of material in waters of the state to obtain a permit.