Solar pool heating systems
provide free heat by circulating pool water through a solar collector, often on a nearby roof.
Certain solar pool heating systems installed in your
Oregon home may be eligible for a Residential Energy Tax Credit.
A solar pool, spa, or hot tub heating system must meet certain qualifications to earn a Residential Energy Tax Credit
up to $2,500, depending on the system installed and its first-year energy yield. See the RETC Rate Chart
for more information.
Qualified solar pool heating systems must:
- Be new and come with a 10-year warranty or better.
- Be certified by the Solar Rating and Certification Corporation , Florida Solar Energy Center , or other body approved by the Oregon Department of Energy.
- Have a minimum Total Solar Resource Fraction (TSRF) of 75%. TSRF is the fraction of usable solar energy that your system should collect, based on shading and the tilt and orientation of the collector.
Qualified solar spa or hot tub heating systems must:
- Have a design approved by the Oregon Department of Energy.
- Have controls to maintain safe temperatures.
- Have a minimum Total Solar Resource Fraction (TSRF) of 75%.
RETC Program Sunset
To qualify for a tax credit:
- RETC devices must be purchased by December 31, 2017;
- Devices must be operational by April 1, 2018; and
- ODOE must receive your application no later than June 1, 2018.
applications must be initially input into PowerClerk by a tax credit technician on or before December 31, 2017.
If you plan to transfer your tax credit, ODOE must receive the pass-through application on or before June 1, 2018. Please review the RETC Administrative Rules
for more information about program eligibility and requirements.
Ask your installing technician to complete the technical sections in the RETC application. Your technician should also complete the Solar Site Assessment worksheet, which is attached to the application.
Complete the rest of the application, listing any other incentives you are receiving. Send it to the Oregon Department of Energy with a copy of your receipt listing the date, model, and price you paid for the system (minus labor and permits).
(instructions and application)