Business owners and school districts should hire an experienced, qualified contractor to perform a lighting retrofit. As part of the cleanup-process, the contractor should accomplish the following duties:
1. Disconnect the power to the area that is to be retrofitted.
2. Inspect all fluorescent light fixtures to determine the presence of polychlorinated bipheyls (PCBs).
3. Disconnect and removing all the PCB-containing ballasts.
4. Provide the appropriate storage and packing containers for the waste.
5. Maintain a record for each area retrofitted.
6. Maintain a record for each of the storage containers.
7. Package/label the drums according to federal, state, and local regulations.
8. Store the drums according to federal, state and local regulations.
9. Prepare the manifests as required by law.
10. Notify proper federal, state and local authorities.
11.Handle all record-keeping requirements.