Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

2012 News Releases
Rulemaking hearing for the transport of radioactive materials is January 10

Lisa Joyce, 503-378-6510
Cliff Voliva, 503-378-3637
In Oregon, 1-800-221-8035

SALEM — The Oregon Department of Energy will hold a public hearing on January 10 to review draft administrative rules for the agency’s radioactive material transportation program. The rulemaking hearing will begin at 9 a.m. at ODOE’s main office in Salem (625 Marion St.).

The purpose of the rulemaking is to specify long-standing processes for carriers to report their radioactive material shipping activity in Oregon and to clarify civil penalties for failure to comply with the rules.

ODOE will accept oral testimony in person and on the phone at the public hearing. To participate on the phone, call 877-214-5010 and enter access code 799345 when prompted.

Written comments on the rulemaking are due by 5 p.m. on Jan. 17, 2013. Send comments to kathy.d.stuttaford@odoe.state.or.us.

The public will have one more opportunity to provide oral, but not written, comment at an Energy Facility Siting Council meeting in early 2013, when the Council takes action on the proposed rules.

Find a draft of the proposed rules at http://www.oregon.gov/energy/Siting/Pages/council-rulemaking.aspx

ODOE will file permanent program rules in early 2013.

The mission of ODOE’s nuclear safety program includes helping prevent accidents involving the transport of radioactive material, as well as preparing for and handling mishaps if they occur. ODOE is the lead state agency for the program and works with other state and local agencies to carry out the mission.

To request an interpreter for the hearing impaired, or accommodations for persons with disabilities, please contact ODOE at least 72 hours before the meeting at 1-800-221-8035 or fax 503-373-7806. TTY users should call the Oregon Relay Service at 711.

About the Oregon Department of Energy: The Oregon Department of Energy provides tax credits, grants, loans, technical assistance and energy information for home owners, businesses, manufacturers, farms, ranches, schools and governments.