Public-private sector group to expand ongoing relationships and pursue export opportunities for Oregon companies as well as inbound investment
(Salem, OR) — Governor Kitzhaber will depart Portland on Sunday, March 3 to join a public-private delegation of business development leaders to promote Oregon products and attract investment to the state from the Netherlands and Germany.
The delegation will visit Amsterdam and Berlin on the eight day mission March 2 to March 9.
“The European Union provides enormous growth potential for Oregon companies, as well as opportunities to attract new investment in our state,” said Governor Kitzhaber. “This trip is about promoting Oregon as a business and tourist destination, and expanding the strong relationships we already have with many European companies.”
The Governor will be promoting Oregon’s manufacturing prowess and its growing reputation as a leader in sustainable business practices, as well as celebrating the fifth anniversary of the critical KLM-Delta direct flight link between Portland and Amsterdam. In addition, the Governor will promote Oregon tourism by visiting the ITB Berlin/International Tourism Fair and travel trade show, and conduct discussions with German leaders on topics such as energy policy and green building.
In 2012, Oregon companies exported $433.2 million worth of Oregon products to Germany, the state’s 9th largest trading partner, and $197.8 million worth to the Netherlands. Total export trade to the nations of the European Union by Oregon totaled $1.84 billion in 2012. The largest industry sectors for Oregon exports to the EU were computer and electronic products, machinery, transportation equipment, other miscellaneous manufactured commodities and chemicals.
Governor Kitzhaber’s Public Schedule (subject to change):
Sunday, March 3 — Portland to Amsterdam
Monday, March 4 — Amsterdam
• Meeting with KLM
• Interview roundtable with Dutch travel journalists
• Reception to celebrate KLM/Delta 5 Year Direct Flight Anniversary
Tuesday, March 5 — Amsterdam
• Meetings and Tour of Nike Logistics Center
• Roundtable Discussion with clean-tech executives
Wednesday, March 6 — Berlin
• Meeting with Brand USA CEO Chris Thompson
• Meeting with U.S. Ambassador Philip Murphy
• ITB Brand USA Networking Reception
Thursday, March 7 — Berlin
• Meeting with State Secretary Ursula Heine of the German Federal Ministry of the Environment, Nature Conservation
and Nuclear Safety
• Meeting with Daimler Global VP of External Affairs Martin Jaeger
Friday, March 8 — Berlin
• Roundtable with German Federation of Industries to promote Oregon
• Roundtable on energy policy with leading German think-tanks
• Interview to promote Oregon as a tourism destination
• Event to Promote Oregon Wine at ITB/International Tourism Fair
Saturday, March 9 — Berlin to Portland
Tim Raphael, 503-689-6117
Business Oregon, Marc Zolton, 503-986-0101