Oregon State Fair takes next step toward a new fair model
(Salem, OR) — Today, Governor Kitzhaber announced the appointment of the Oregon State Fair Council. Establishing the new Council is the first step in the implementation of Senate Bill 7, passed during the 2013 legislative session, which will transition the Oregon State Fair and Exposition Center from a state agency to a public corporation.
The Council is charged with creating a new, sustainable business model for the Oregon State Fair and Exposition Center, and Council members will have the authority to execute a nimble business strategy that can capitalize on sponsorships, rapidly changing market conditions, and streamlined contracting and employment practices.
The Council assumes responsibility for Fair and Expo Center operations from the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. OPRD will provide support to the Council to assist with the transition and help with planning the 2014 Oregon State Fair. To ensure a successful event, OPRD will contract with Hillman Consulting to help put on the 2014 Fair and build an effective model for future fairs.
Council members, listed below, represent livestock, business, community leaders, economic development, and local government interests. The council also includes two non-voting legislative representatives, Senator Arnie Roblan and Representative Vicki Berger, and an advisory member, Linda Norris, Salem’s City Manager.
• Loyal Burns, Board of Directors, Veterinary Services Inc. and Sheep Breeder
• Janet Carlson, Marion County Commissioner
• Jon Chandler, Chief Executive Officer, Oregon Homebuilders Association
• Gene Derfler, former Senate President, Oregon State Senate
• George Jennings, attorney and shareholder, Garrett, Hemann, Robertson P.C.
• Austin McGuigan, Community Development Director, Polk County, Dallas, Oregon
• Leah Perkins-Hagele, Fairgrounds Manager, Washington County Fair Complex
• Anna Peterson, Mayor, City of Salem
• Craig Smith, former Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Chemeketa Community College
• Larry Tokarski, President, Mountain West Investment Corporation
• Kerry Tymchuk, Executive Director, Oregon Historical Society
Amy Wojcicki, Office of Governor Kitzhaber, 503-689-5324
Lisa Van Laanen, Oregon Parks and Recreation, 503-508-8165