Accomplishments include a balanced budget, transportation package, Cover All Kids
Salem, OR—Governor Kate Brown today applauded the progress made for Oregon's children and families, a more efficient and transparent government, and a more sustainable transportation system.
"This legislative session was tough but rewarding. We began the year with a $1.6 billion budget deficit and the ambition to build a stronger education system, invest in our transportation system, ensure all Oregon children have access to health care, and create a safer, more equitable Oregon," Governor Brown said. "Today, we have balanced the budget and achieved these critical goals while standing up for Oregonians' values."
This year's legislative accomplishments include:
• A $5.3 billion multimodal transportation investment package HB 2017
• Cover All Kids SB 558
, expanding health coverage to 15,000 additional Oregon children
• Protecting coverage for more than 1 million Oregonians on the Oregon Health Plan HB 2391
• Investments in Career Technical Education and Graduation Equity Fund, preparing young Oregonians to compete in the global economy
• Containing costs across state government SB 1067
, saving hundreds of millions in taxpayer dollar for future biennia
• PERS task force and additional staff to better manage long-term costs of state retirement program
• Public records reforms SB 106
, creating the Office of Public Records Advocate and public records advisory council
"My priorities were supported by both parties because these solutions came from the Oregonians I've met across the state," Governor Brown said. "It took a lot of hard work to build bipartisan support and I'm proud of the Legislature for supporting transformative policy for Oregon. While the legislative session has ended, our work continues. I look forward to building on our successes and lessons learned for a brighter future in Oregon."
FILE: GOVERNOR BROWN'S 2017 LEGISLATIVE ACHIEVEMENTS