For Continuing Education Requirements in License Renewal
For a summary of the continuing education requirements: CEU Guidelines
Licensed Professional Counselors and Licensed Marriage & Family Therapists
Report continuing education hours every 2 years. Your reporting period is from your license renewal in one even-numbered year to the next license renewal in the subsequent even-numbered year. For example, if your birth month is June, your CEU reporting period would be from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2014. You would report when you renew your license in June, 2014.
If you received your initial license less than 2 years before CEUs are due, please contact the Board to find out the number of hours required.
You must complete at least 6 clock hours of ethics training
during each two-year reporting period.
SUBMITTING CONTINUING EDUCATION
At the time of annual renewal on even-numbered years you must certify that you have met the continuing education requirements. You do this by listing a summary of continuing education courses, or courses and supervision, which you have completed. You may report CEUs when you renew your license online.
You may obtain the clock hours in a variety of ways:
- Attending college or university courses
- Seminars, workshops, conferences and/or trainings.
- Distance learning
Some methods have limits on the number of hours you may report in a reporting period.
Specifics About Education/Training Content
Education/training experiences must be in one or more of the following program areas:
- Counseling or marital and family therapy theory and techniques
- Human development and family studies
- Social and cultural foundations
- The helping relationship
- Group dynamics
- Lifestyle and career development
- DSM diagnosis
- Research and evaluation
- Professional orientation and ethics
- Professional supervision training
- Disability and life transitions
- Substance abuse
- Diagnosis and treatment of mental health disorders
Courses in personal growth, computers, administration, management, marketing, or other business classes will NOT count.
DOCUMENTING CONTINUING EDUCATION
Documentation showing completion may include:
- Transcripts from accredited education institution;
- Dated certificates with number of CEUs granted (originals or copies) documenting completion of training;
- Program/activity descriptions, including written verification of professional services, copies of published works or other proof of publication, letter from president/director of organization in which professional activity was conducted.
- Signed statement of professional supervision by the individual providing the supervision.
Each reporting year, the Board conducts an audit to check compliance of its continuing education requirements. The audit process includes:
- random selection of 10% of LPCs and LMFTs for audit;
- notification of selected licensees by mail, including request for copies of documentation; review of documentation for compliance and accuracy of summary list submitted with license renewal;
IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 10% SELECTED FOR AUDIT, YOU MUST PROVIDE DOCUMENTATION OF YOUR TRAINING WHEN YOU SUBMIT YOUR RENEWAL.
The Board may grant waivers for serious illness or disability or for licensees who will not be practicing for extended periods and agree to make up provisions prior to resuming practice. Contact the Board office for details. The waiver request forms are available on the board's website.
Failure to document the required hours may result in non-renewal civil penalties or, possible suspension of license
You have a grace period to submit fees and other necessary papers, but there is no grace period for completing the continuing education requirements. There are civil penalties for not meeting the requirements.