|Supervision requirements vary depending on the application method.
NUMBER AND DEFINITION OF CLIENT CONTACT HOURS
LPC Direct Method – 2,400 total hours prior to July 1, 2002 or from out-of-state.
· At least 480 CCH must accrue within five years prior to application.
LPC Intern Method – 2,400 total hours:
· Up to 400 pre-degree CCH may be counted toward licensure.
LMFT Direct Method – 2,000 total hours prior to July 1, 2002 or from out-of-state.
· At least 480 hours of clinical experience must accrue within five years prior to application.
LMFT Intern Method – 2,000 total hours:
· 1,000 of the total hours must be providing therapy to couples and families.
- All clinical experience hours must be accumulated post graduate, per date on transcript.
· Up to 1,000 post-degree hours may be counted toward licensure if they were earned before July 1, 2002).
Clinical work experience hours include: Those hours of counseling / therapy services performed directly with clients [family, individual, couple, or group]. They are therapeutic in nature and are comprised of face-to-face and voice-to-voice communication.
Related activities NOT considered clinical work experience: intake only, case management, casual contact, research, advocacy, administration of programs, instruction, attending training or discussion groups, or supervision hours.
REGISTERED INTERN SUPERVISION
Registered Intern Supervisors
Registered interns may choose from a list of Approved Supervisors posted on the Board's website. The Approved list contains LPCs and LMFTs only. There is no requirement to choose a supervisor from the list. Other licensed mental health professionals, e.g., psychologists, social workers, may be intern supervisors. All supervisors of registered interns must meet the following requirements:
1) Have a current, active Oregon license as a mental health professional for at least 3 years. Oregon LPCs and LMFTs with national supervisor certification are not required to have been licensed for 3 years.
2) Complete 30 hours of supervision training.
3) Successfully pass the Board's law and rules exam for supervisors.
4) Are free of disciplinary action from his or her state licensing board.
5) Supervisors of marriage and family therapy interns must also have supervision training that included systems components.
Supervision does not need to be on site or come from within the same agency. Interns may pay for supervision by contracting with a supervisor.
Supervision should include regular examination of a counselor’s work in order to:
-Encourage responsible provision of services
-Promote the best interests of clients
-Foster acquisition and refinement of skills
-Promote professional development
Supervision includes: Review of case notes, charts, records, audio or visual tapes in order to evaluate the appropriateness of assessments, treatment plans, and therapeutic skills. It should take place privately in a professional setting, or within a small group of no more than six supervisees[Prior to 1988, 10 supervisees were allowed].
Related activities NOT considered supervision include: groups larger than six supervisees after 1998; groups where leadership shifts; staff or team meetings, consultation sessions; quality assurance or review groups; or training seminars.
Supervisors must abide by thisBoard’s Code of Ethics, The Code of Ethics are in administrative rule Chapter 833, Division 100.
A supervisor may not be a spouse or relative, have a close personal relationship, or former therapist of the supervisee.
INDIVIDUAL AND GROUP SUPERVISION
At least 50% of the minimum required number of supervision hours each month must be individual supervision, 1-to-1.
For example, if you have 45 client contact hours during a month, you must have at least 2 hours of supervision in that month. Of that two hours, at least 1 hour must be individual supervision.
If you have 46 or more client contact hours during a month, you must have at least 3 hours of supervision. Of that 3 hours, at least 1.5 hours must be individual supervision.
You may have as many hours of supervision as you wish as long as you meet the minimum required number each month. We encourage you to get as much supervision as available -- both individual and group.
Up to 75% of supervision may be conducted via electronic communication.
Supervision must take place in the same calendar month as the client contact hours discussed.
Supervision meetings must be at least one hour in duration.
Supervision is measured by client contact level per site or supervisor. Extra supervision hours from one supervisor cannot be “carried over” for credit, either into the future or to another site where the supervision level was not adequate.
SUPERVISION AND CLINICAL EXPERIENCE HOURS ARE MEASURED ON A MONTHLY BASIS. INTERNS MUST REPORT ALL DIRECT CLIENT CONTACT HOURS. IF THE LEVEL OF SUPERVISION IS NOT ADEQUATE, ALLCLIENT CONTACT HOURS ACCUMULATED DURING THAT MONTH ARE DISALLOWED. IF NO HOURS ARE SUBMITTED FOR A SIX MONTH REPORTING PERIOD, THE INTERNSHIP WILL BE EXPRIED.