Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Certificate of Veterinary Inspection
What is a CVI?
What is a "Certificate of Veterinary Inspection"? (Abbreviated CVI; sometimes incorrectly called a "Health Certificate") Although sometimes called "Health Certificate", the official name of the document is "Certificate of Veterinary Inspection," a more formal and more accurate term. "Health Certificate" seems to some people to imply a guarantee of health.
A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) is an official document, issued and signed by a licensed, accredited, and deputized veterinarian. The CVI provides documentation that an animal or a group of animals was apparently healthy and showed no signs of contagious or communicable diseases on the date the inspection took place.
Most states require a CVI for animals coming from another state. The veterinarian records dates and results of any tests required, and other facts about the animals, including age, breed, sex, vaccination status, and any other details required by the state of destination. The CVI also shows where the shipment came from and where it is going and gives required details about the animals.
In the event of a disease outbreak, investigators use CVIs to track the disease back to its source, and forward to potentially exposed animals or people

When do I need a CVI?
A CVI is required for interstate movement of most livestock and pets. A show or event may require a CVI for any animals entering or participating, even if a resident of the state where the show or event is held.
If issued for interstate transport, the CVI shows the name and address of the consignor (owner/shipper) and the name and address of the consignee (new owner/receiver; where they're going) as well as the results of any tests or vaccinations required by the state of destination. You may be asked to show the CVI when you cross state lines.
Make sure your veterinarian's name and the full clinic name & address are legible on all CVIs. This can save you inconvenience if "something happens" while you are out of state and you need to reach your veterinarian quickly.

Who sets the rules?
Each state determines the health requirements for animals entering from outside its borders. This is usually done by the Department of Agriculture through the State Veterinarian´s office and with advice from livestock owners, producers, and industry representatives. The State´s Legislature may also get involved in the process.
Requirements can include
  1. CVI;
  2. Import Permit;
  3. Vaccinations against disease;
  4. Tests for disease;
  5. Statements about the animal disease conditions of the area or flock/herd of origin, (for example, the statement that a dog does not come from an area under quarantine for rabies, or that a sheep does not come from a flock with scrape);
  6. Other requirements the state determines are appropriate, usually based on livestock industries in the state and the disease status of the state or area the animal is coming from;
  7. All of the above;
  8. None of the above.
Call the State Veterinarian´s Office in state of destination to find out about that state´s current import requirements.
The USDA sets requirements for interstate shipment of some animals for which there are state-federal disease eradication programs (cattle, swine, poultry).

Tell me more
CVIs are multi-part forms. The owner gets one or two copies; one copy stays at the clinic; one goes to the State Veterinarian in the state of origin; one goes to the State Veterinarian´s office in the state of destination.
By state and federal rules, CVIs are valid for a maximum of 30 days from date of inspection or exam. This means you may need a new CVI for each trip out of state.
By federal rules, a veterinarian may issue a CVI up to ten days after date of inspection or exam. On the eleventh or later day, the animal(s) must be re-inspected or re-examined. (The exception to this is for livestock in a "regular health maintenance program".)

International shipment
What about international shipment of animals?  Including Canada & Mexico   Please call the USDA APHIS Veterinary Service Office in Salem for current requirements for Oregon animals being shipped to other countries, including Canada and Mexico. The phone number is 503-399-5871. Their office is open 7:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
Many countries, including Canada, require the Certificate of Veterinary Inspection be endorsed by the USDA before the animal crosses the border. USDA is required to charge a fee for endorsing. Before hand-carrying documents to Salem for endorsement, call 503-399-5871 to make sure a staff veterinarian will be available when you arrive.