Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Information for animal owners in Oregon

Definition of livestock

"Livestock" refers only to
  • cattle, (but does not include bison, or yak)
  • horses, mules, donkeys, asses, (all equidae)
  • sheep and goats
  • all swine except feral swine
  • domestic birds
  • camelids.

Back to Top
Which animals are not legal to keep in Oregon? Check the Oregon Department of Fish of Wildlife Integrity Rules.

Back to Top

Certificate of Vet Inspection

What is a "Certificate of Veterinary Inspection", when and why do I need one?

Back to Top

Disposal of dead animals

Any dead domestic animal within one-half mile of any dwelling or within one-fourth mile of any running stream of water must be disposed of within 15 hours (ORS 601.140). The owner may choose to bury it, burn it, move it farther from the dwelling or stream, or have it hauled away by commercial rendering company or a commercial carcass pickup service .
If buried, no part of the body shall be nearer than four feet to the natural surface of the ground and every part of such body shall be covered with quicklime and by at least four feet of earth. (ORS 601.090(7))
If the carcass is more than one-fourth mile from a running stream of water or more than one-half mile from any dwelling, and on the owner´s property, the owner is not required to take any action.
Note: The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality may have requirements or recommendations for burial near wells, septic systems, or streams. Contact them at 503-229-5696.
Your city or county may have other regulations regarding burial or burning. Call your City Planner´s Office or Sheriff´s Office for details.

Back to Top

Rendering license

Application for Assembly Plant, Rendering Plant and Conveyance for Transport in pdf form (94 KB)
Dead Animal Assembly Plant is where animal carcasses or parts may be kept in storage pending transport to a central location.
A Rendering Plant License is required of any person wanting to dispose of the bodies, carcasses, or parts of animals by rendering, burning, burying, or any other means.
A Conveyance License is required for all trucks or conveyance used to transport for hire the bodies, carcasses or parts of domestic animals via highways.  This license is for any person not holding a Rendering Plant License.

Back to Top

Dead livestock identification

If you find dead livestock on your property and don't know who the owner is, call your Brand Inspector. Call the Livestock ID office at 503-986-4681, for the name and phone number of the Brand Inspector nearest your location. For this purpose, livestock includes cattle, horses, mules, donkeys, asses, sheep, goats, and swine but does not include pot bellied pigs.
If you find other kinds of dead animals on your property and don't know who the owner is, call your County Sheriff.

Back to Top

Livestock loose on my property

If I don´t know whose animal it is, what can I do about livestock running loose on my property? Notify your Livestock Brand Inspector. Call the Livestock ID office at 503-986-4681 for the name and phone number of the Brand Inspector nearest your location.

Back to Top

Livestock transportation

There are both state and federal regulations regarding shipment of livestock (and other animals) across state lines. Most regulations are related to efforts to prevent, control, or eradicate animal diseases. Some are to prevent livestock theft.
A state´s requirements can change over night in response to a disease outbreak. Always check with the state of destination for their current requirements.
The animal owner is responsible for being aware of and complying with the regulations when sending or taking animal(s) into another state. Your veterinarian can help you with this process.
Oregon requirements for transport of cattle and horses
Entering Oregon cattle  horses 
Leaving Oregon cattle  horses 
Other-state requirements for Oregon livestock entering The minimum requirement to send animals to another state is a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection issued no more than 30 days prior to entry. Vaccinations or tests may also be required, depending on what kind of animal and where it is going.
Some states (including Oregon) require import permits. You or your veterinarian can call the state of destination for their current import requirements.

Back to Top

ODA State Veterinarian

 Dr. Brad R LeaMaster, State Veterinarian

Mailing address:
Animal Health
Oregon Department of Agriculture
635 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301-2532

Back to Top

Pasture Permit

The Pasture Permit program exists for cattle shipped to another state for grazing purposes. All cattle moved on the Pasture to Pasture permit must be returned to the state of origin after the grazing season without a change of ownership.
Back to Top

Travel with animals within US

Each state has its own health requirements for different kinds of animals. Call the state of destination for current information.
Summary of dog and cat requirements for other states
Summary of equine travel requirements for other states
Back to Top

Traveling with pets outside US

Each country has its own health requirements for different kinds of animals. Call the USDA Veterinary Services Area Office, 360-753-9430 for requirements for taking pets to foreign countries, including Canada and Mexico.
Check also with the Centers for Disease Control for disease concerns for animals returning to the US.

Back to Top