Initiated in 2008 with the support of the Nutrition Council of Oregon, Oregon Department of Education Child Nutrition Programs created the School Wellness Awards to recognize schools for their outstanding efforts to improve child health and make the connection between nutrition, physical activity and academic achievement.
Each year ODE selects 3 winners of the School Wellness Award. These schools are exemplary for their outstanding implementation of school district wellness policy.
Oregon schools who are actively working to improve student and staff wellness are encouraged to apply. Applications are reviewed by a Blue Ribbon Panel appointed by ODE. The panel reviews applications and recommends the top applicants to ODE Deputy Superintendent who makes the final selection. In March each year, awards are announced at the Oregon School Nutrition Association annual meeting and ODE releases the news to local and state media.
As sponsor of the awards, Oregon Dairy and Nutrition Council provides $2,500 and a recognition banner for each winner. The banners, a signed certificate and the cash award are presented at special assemblies held at winning schools.
The Award Application and Scoring Cover the Following Areas
- School wide policies and initiatives, including employee wellness and the connection to learning
- Nutrition promotion and education
- Physical education and physical activity
- School meal programs, including breakfast, lunch, afterschool/dinner and summer
- Community involvement
The 2016-17 School Wellness Award Application is Now Closed
Congratulations to the 2016-2017 School Wellness Award Winners!
- Adams Elementary School, K-5, Corvallis School District
- Milwaukie High School, 9-12, North Clackamas School District
- St. Paul Elementary, Pre-K- 6th, St. Paul School District
The 2017-2018 application will be open on October 2, 2017
Previous Award Winners