Oregon Department of Forestry News Release
August 10, 2012
Contacts:Phil Hunter, 541-935-2283, email@example.com Link Smith, 541-935-2283, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Oregon Department of Forestry’s (ODF) Western Lane District increased fire safety restrictions in the forest on Aug. 8 due to the growing wildfire hazard.
“We had a cooler than average spring, but fire season is now truly upon us,” District Forester Link Smith said. “People really need to be cautious about their activities in the forest.”
The stepped-up fire safety rules, known as a “Regulated-Use Closure,” include the following:
1. Smoking is prohibited while traveling, except in vehicles on improved roads, in boats on the water, and on sand or gravel bars that lie between water and high-water marks that are free of vegetation.
2. Open fires are prohibited, including campfires, charcoal fires, cooking fires and warming fires, except at designated campgrounds. Portable cooking stoves using liquefied or bottled fuels are allowed.
3. Chainsaw use is prohibited in areas subject to Industrial Fire Precaution Levels III and IV.
4. Chainsaw use is prohibited, between the hours of 1 p.m. and 8 p.m. in areas subject to Industrial Fire Precaution Levels I and II. Chainsaw use is permitted at all other hours, if the following firefighting equipment is present with each operating saw: one ax, one shovel, and one 8-oz. or larger fire extinguisher. In addition, a fire watch is required at least one hour following the use of each saw.
5. Use of motorized vehicles, including motorcycles and all terrain vehicles, is prohibited, except on improved roads.
6. Possession of the following firefighting equipment is required while traveling, except on state highways and county roads and driveways: one ax, one shovel, and one gallon of water or one 2-½ lb. or larger fire extinguisher.
7. Use of fireworks is prohibited.
8. Cutting, grinding and welding of metal is prohibited, between the hours of 1 p.m. and 8 p.m. Cutting, grinding and welding of metal is permitted at all other hours, if conducted in a cleared area and if a water supply is present.
9. Use of exploding targets is prohibited.
10. Mowing of dried and cured grass with power-driven equipment is prohibited between the hours of 1 p.m. and 8 p.m., except for the commercial culture and harvest of agricultural crops.
11. Blasting is prohibited, between the hours of 1 p.m. and 8 p.m. Blasting is permitted at all other hours, if conducted in a cleared area and if a water supply is present.
The Western Lane District protects 756,810 acres of private and public lands in western Lane County from wildfire.
For more information on the Regulated-Use Closure, contact the Western Lane District office in Veneta, 541-935-2283.