January 25, 2013
Fore Immediate Release
The Forest History Center is participating in the When We Were Young: Childhood Around the Valley
3nd Annual Heritage Invitational Extravaganza
Opens January 2013 at The Willamette Heritage Center at the Mill, Salem
The Willamette Heritage Center at The Mill
, 503-585-7012, www.willametteheritage.org WHAT: When We Were Young: Childhood Around the ValleyWHEN:
Friday, January 18 through Saturday, March 16, 2013WHERE:
1313 Mill Street SE, Salem, OR 97301COST:
FREE for members of the Forest History Center/employees of the Oregon Department of Forestry, as well as members of the other participating museums and organizations. Willamette Heritage Center regular admission is $6 for adults, $5 for seniors
What do you know about the lives of children who lived in the Willamette Valley in the past? What kinds of games did they play or chores did they do? How did their lives and pastimes compare to yours? What did it even mean to be a “child”?
The Forest History Center, part of the Oregon Department of Forestry, is proud to be one of the participants in When We Were Young, the Willamette Heritage Center’s third annual Heritage Invitational Exhibition. This display explores a range of ideas about “childhood,” from planting trees after the Tillamook Burn to the role of children in the history of the Good Samaritan School of Nursing at Linfield College; from toys, dolls, and games of a by-gone era to the lives of Albany teenagers from the late 1800s through the 1940s.
Besides the Forest History Center, other participants in When We Were Young include: Albany Regional Museum, the Bush House, Chemawa Indian School, Historic Deepwood Estate, Hoover-Minthorn House, the Jensen Arctic Museum, Linfield College Archives, Lord & Schryver Conservancy, Oregon State Hospital Museum, Polk County Historical Society, Silverton Country Historical Society, St. Boniface Museum and Archives, and Western Oregon University Archives.
The Forest History Center’s display tells the story of “Children Working in the Woods”, beginning with the logging camps and operations around the turn of the 19th century through the planting of the Tillamook Burns in the early 1960s. The display includes photos, original artwork, and artifacts relating to school children planting the Tillamook Burn, the Oregon Green Guards, children working in the early logging camps and logging sites, Paul Bunyan, a children’s tall tale that involves children working in the forest, and youth on Oregon Department of Forestry fire crews.
The mission of the Forest History Center is to preserve and make available to the public the history of forestry in Oregon, and to provide a place and opportunity to research and publish information related to Oregon's forest history. The Forest History Center museum is located on the Oregon Department of Forestry’s Salem Headquarters campus at 2600 State Street in Salem. Hours are Fridays, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., October through April; Fridays and Saturdays, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. May through September; and on other days and times by appointment. Admission is free. The Forest History Center, part of the Oregon Department of Forestry, is staffed and operated by volunteers. For additional information about the Forest History Center, call 503-945-7208, or visit www.foresthistorycenter.oregon.gov
The Willamette Heritage Center at The Mill
, a joint project of the Mission Mill Museum and the Marion County Historical Society, is a stroll through the history of the Willamette Valley. Its 5-acre campus is home to the 1841 Jason Lee house (arguably the oldest wooden framed house in Oregon), 1841 Willamette Mission Parsonage, 1847 John Boon home, 1858 Pleasant Grove Church, and the 1896 Thomas Kay Woolen Mill, named an American Treasure by the National Park Service. Since its founding in 1964 as a private non-profit association, Mission Mill Museum has established a reputation as a leader in the preservation and interpretation of Oregon’s history. The museum’s histories are shared with visitors through daily and group tours, speakers, living history, children’s programs, hands-on activities, special events, the museum store and rental facilities. The Willamette Heritage Center are private not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization. It is not managed by city, county, state or federal agencies. For more information call 503-585-7012 or visit http://www.willametteheritage.org
Submitted by Jeri Chase, Public Information Officer, Oregon Department of Forestry, 503-945-7201, email@example.com