Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Forest Practices Act - Enforcement
Dispute Resolution
How to Request a Collaborative Dispute Resolution for a Possible Settlement
  1. You may request collaborative dispute resolution (CDR) as a less formal method of review and possible settlement. Settlement may be reached between you and the Oregon Department of Forestry (district or Salem staff level). A third party may also be called upon to assist.

    Requests for collaborative dispute resolution must be made in writing to:

    State Forester
    Attn: Civil Penalty Administrator
    2600 State Street
    Salem, OR 97310

    The State Forester must receive the request for CDR within 20 days from the date of service of the notice of civil penalty (follow the procedure in Section 1, "Requesting a Hearing").

    IMPORTANT: You must also request a hearing in order to prevent the notice of civil penalty from becoming a final order by default.

  2. The Oregon Department of Forestry may choose not to participate in collaborative dispute resolution if it is believed after preliminary discussions with you and ODF district or Salem staff that a settlement is unlikely to be reached. If ODF chooses not to participate in CDR, the Department will notify you. You then have the opportunity to schedule a hearing.
  3. If the Oregon Department of Forestry chooses to participate in collaborative dispute resolution, the Department may establish a deadline for concluding the process. If that deadline is reached without a settlement, or if you or the Department decides to opt out of the process, a hearing can be scheduled if desired.

FPA Enforcement

Contact Us
Civil Penalties
Find a Forester
FPA Guidance
Penalty Reduction
Request a Hearing
<-- Keys to FPA