This page provides information about the custom license plates available in Oregon.
Use the links below to go directly to any section:
|How to Apply|
To apply for a custom plate, you must:
The process of ordering custom plates usually takes 8-10 weeks. However, if your requested configuration is not available, you will be notified sooner.
|Constructing Your Configuration (Plate Design)|
Follow the guidelines provided below when constructing your custom plate configuration (design):
- You can request from one to six characters on a custom plate, plus one extra space or hyphen (indicate in the application where the hyphen or space should go).
- You can fill each character block with a letter, number, or hyphen, or you may leave some blank.
- With the exception of the hyphen and space, NO special characters or punctuation marks are allowed (such as # . ’ ! $ & " ?).
- You may not use three numbers followed by three letters or three letters followed by three numbers.
- You may not construct an objectionable configuration.
- Be sure to write clearly, distinguishing Z’s from 2’s, S’s from 5’s, I’s from 1’s, etc.
- Be sure to show where you want a space (especially if you do not want lettering to cover a graphic on your plate), otherwise, all characters will be centered on the plate.
The following restrictions apply to custom plate configurations:
- You cannot customize a group plate (like veteran plates, college/university plates, etc.) or the Pacific Wonderland plate.
- You may not use three numbers followed by three letters or three letters followed by three numbers, as this is the standard Oregon license plate format.
- DMV denies requests for any combination of letters and numbers that may be viewed as objectionable. Objectionable combinations include those that would, by means of foreign or slang words or phrases, by use of phonetic, numeric or reverse spelling, or when viewed as a mirror image, have the effect of alarming, threatening, offending, or misleading a reasonable person. Such choices may include, but are not limited to, combinations of letters and/or numbers that:
- Refer to intimate bodily parts or to sexual or excretory functions.
- Refer in an alarming or offensive manner to a person or class of persons on the basis of race, color, gender, ethnic heritage, national origin, or other characteristic.
- Suggest that the vehicle to which the custom plate is issued is an official vehicle of a public agency when it is not.
- Refer to illegal acts.
- Refer to alcoholic beverages or controlled substances or paraphernalia used in the consumption thereof.
|Determining Configuration Availability|
Each license plate must be unique and DMV has been issuing custom plates for years now, so many configurations have already been assigned. When applying, you can request alternatives in case your preferred choice is already taken. DMV will notify you if all of your specified choices are unavailable. Note: There is no way to check availability online at this time.
|Retaining Your Configuration|
If a custom plate is not renewed within 30 days from the expiration of the vehicle registration period, the configuration becomes available for reassignment on a first come, first served basis.
|Transferring a Custom Plate|
Custom plates with current registration may be transferred to a like vehicle (i.e., a vehicle for which the same type of license plate may be used). Please refer to our plate transfer
page for more information on this topic.
|Note About Fees|
Registration fees depend on many factors. The fees in the table below may not include other applicable registration fees. For more information on vehicle registration and the associated fees, refer to our registration page
, registration renewal page
, and/or vehicle fees
page. Note: The fees seen below are for the plate only.
|License Plate Options|
Additional information that may be relevant includes: