Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Vehicle Permits

Trip permits allow the temporary operation of a vehicle on Oregon's public roadways. They are for vehicles that are not currently registered and for vehicles being used in a way not allowed under the current registration. DMV issues the following types of trip permits: 
Standard Trip Permits
DMV issues standard trip permits for:
Out-of-State Trip Permits
If you have a valid trip permit from another state, it is legal for you to drive that vehicle in Oregon. You must keep proof of insurance in the vehicle.

Snowmobile Trip Permits
You may purchase a permit for the use of out-of-state unregistered snowmobiles in Oregon.

Parking Permits
Parking permits allow vehicles to park in restricted areas and/or special designated spaces. DMV issues the following types of parking permits:
Where to Buy Trip & Parking Permits
You may purchase DMV issued permits at DMV offices located throughout the state, or from DMV headquarters by mail (access detailed requirements and instructions using the links provided in the sections above). 
You may also purchase Sno-Park Permits from authorized agents (retailers, resorts, etc.), however, they can charge additional service fees.
You may also purchase Heavy Motor Vehicle, Heavy Trailer, and Registration Weight trip permits at most Motor Carrier Transportation Division (MCTD) registration offices.
If you need more information about DMV-issued permits, please contact DMV.

Permits Issued By Other Organizations
ATV Permits
ATV permits are not issued by DMV. This type of permit is issued by the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department and their agents.

Manufactured Structure Trip Permits
Manufactured structure trip permits are not issued by DMV. You will need to contact your county assessor to buy this type of permit.

Over-Dimension & Highway Trip Permits
Over-dimension and highway trip permits are not issued by DMV. You will need to contact the Motor Carrier Transportation Division (MCTD) at (503) 378-6699 to purchase this type of permit.
Parks & Recreation Day-Use Parking Permits
Day-use parking permits are not issued by DMV. This type of permit is issued by the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department and their agents.