Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Titling & Registering Out-of-State Vehicles with Liens


This page provides information about titling and registering out-of-state vehicles with liens.
Use the links below to go directly to any section:
General Information
If you took out a loan to buy your vehicle or are leasing it, the financial institution may be holding the title. DMV cannot title or register a vehicle until we receive the current certificate of title.  An informational or non-negotiable copy of a title will not satisfy this requirement. 
Note: If you have purchased, or are looking to purchase, a used vehicle from out of state, be wary of flood damage. Be especially cautious of vehicles that may have been damaged by the Hurricane Sandy floods. See our news release regarding vehicles damaged in Hurricane Sandy for more information.
When you move to Oregon and the security interest holder - the financial institution that provided your vehicle loan - holds the title to your vehicle, follow the steps below to title and register your vehicle in Oregon. 
Important: Before applying, please determine if you are legally qualified for Oregon vehicle registration.
Important: Start the process outlined below immediately. Depending upon how quickly the financial institution processes your paperwork, it can take several weeks to get your plates and stickers. If your out-of-state plates expire, you are limited to two 21-day trip permits which allow you to drive your vehicle on a temporary basis.  If the vehicle does not have plates, you may submit your paperwork for title and registration and pay the required fees in person at an Oregon DMV office and obtain temporary registration.
Note: If a vehicle has had certain kinds of damage, an Oregon title cannot be issued.

How to Apply
To apply for a title and registration, you must follow all of these steps:
  • Fill out an Application for Title and Registration (Form 735-226):
  • Pass an emissions test at DEQ if you live in the Portland Metro Area or the Rogue Valley (Medford);
  • Prove compliance with or exemption from the Low Emissions Vehicle (LEV) requirement. Vehicles subject to LEV include 2009 model year or newer passenger vehicles with 7,500 or less mileage. The LEV requirement does not apply to electric, hybrid, or government-owned passenger vehicles;
  • Print the security interest holder letter and application procedures (if you need a hard copy, contact DMV);
  • Take your vehicle to a regular or full service DMV office when you establish Oregon residency and get a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspection:
    • You will be charged a $7 fee for this service,
    • You may be able to get a VIN inspection at DEQ,
    • You may get a VIN inspection at the local state DMV or law enforcement if you are currently located out of state but domiciled in Oregon,
    • The completed VIN inspection form must be included in the supporting materials sent to the security interest holder;
  • Choose license plates (click here for choices):
    • If you choose a specialty plate, write the name of that plate in the “Remarks” section of your application,
    • You may transfer Oregon plates you own to your vehicle:
      • The plates must be a type that DMV still issues, or have a specialty background
      • The plates must be in good condition and readable, and
      • The plates can only be transferred to the same type of vehicle;
    • When you transfer plates:
      • The expiration date of the registration will remain the same
      • Expired plates cannot be transferred, unless registration fees are paid at the time of plate transfer
      • You must pay a plate transfer fee of $6;
  • Get a trip permit from a DMV office if your out-of-state plates are expired and you wish to continue driving your vehicle on Oregon roadways; 
  • Figure and pay all applicable fees:
  • Contact your security interest holder and explain to them what you are doing and verify their contact information in order to speed the process along; and
  • Send the Security Interest Holder Letter (Form 735-6603), with the completed application, supporting materials, and total fee payment to the security interest holder.
Note: By submitting an application for registration, you are certifying that you have the insurance required by Oregon law and that you will comply with Oregon's motor vehicle insurance requirements as long as the vehicle is registered in your name.

How to Submit Your Application
After you have sent the Security Interest Holder Letter (Form 735-6603) with the completed application, supporting materials, and correct payment to the security interest holder, they must add the current vehicle title to the above documents and mail them to DMV at the following address:
Oregon DMV
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
If you do not obtain the documents from a DMV office, include an envelope with the documents sent to the security interest holder so that they can mail the documents to DMV.
Note: Due to the additional costs of associated merchant fees, DMV offices do not accept credit or debit cards. They accept cash, money orders and checks only.

How Long Will It Take?
If your paperwork is accurate and complete when received at DMV Headquarters in Salem, and your payment is correct, your plates are mailed within 5-10 business days. 
Titles are generally mailed to applicants about three to five weeks after DMV receives the necessary paperwork. Delays may occur during peak processing months.

Related Information
Additional information that may be relevant includes: